• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

School me on the .40 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what brand of powder he was using :idunno: but I'll bet it was 3f granulation. If I were to make a guess :hmm: as to the brand, and it is only a guess, I'd guess that it was Goex. I, too, am waiting to see what he says with regard to his exact powder. :pop:

I have an iron mounted "poor boy" rifle with a GM .40 barrel.

I was taught to start with powder equal in grains to the caliber rounded to the nearest 5, but I was also taught that 1/3 of the ball weight rounded to the nearest 5 should be close to the optimal load.

:idunno:

Well my .530 ball is 224 grains, so I should've started with 55 grains of powder it being a .34 barrel, BUT deer hunting in my state with a long arm in black powder one must use 60 grains minimum. I did find that 70 grains was my optimal load...nearly the 75 grains that the second rule would call for.

My .40 then, should use 40 grains, but the .390 ball is 89 grains of lead, so the optimal load should be close to 30 grains..., mine seems to like 30 grains very much. However, although GOEX and 3Fg, it also likes to be swabbed between shots. Further, it likes The Dutch Schoultz System for accuracy. I will soon try it at the 60 grain load level to see if it may be used for deer hunting...but that should launch a screaming-fast ball, downrange. :shocked2:

LD

I have been getting better results with 2f Goex. But like to know what others are using, because mine is not the best shooting rifle I own.

Michael

Yes GOEX 3F, I like and use the Olde Eynsford but can't tell much of a difference, if any, with regular. Regular GOEX 3F same load. I know a lot use less powder than I do in their 40's but, that gun loves 60 grns. When I was building up a load for that rifle, I had good groups with 40-50 grains and just thought to go up and see where my cut off was and that is when I found that 60 grns is what that gun likes.

Trent

Above 60 grns groups start to spread out a bit. Just have to put time behind the butt plate and see what each rifle can do.

I don't always wipe between loads. when I start, I fowl my rifle then when I reload I load as normal but, when I seat the ball to the bottom of the barrel I use a wet cleaning patch sprayed with moose milk on my ram rod. This works for me. this might not work for everyone. After about 25-30 shots my load mark on the rod only raise about quarter inch.

Trent

The old rule I was taught was a grain and half foreach caliber. So a .40 caliber barrel would require 60 grains of powder.
My own experience and that of a few hundred others is that the optimum load was usually a few grains heavier than that..
Accordingly my two different .45 rifles liked 73 grains with excellent results .
45 X 1,5 =67.5. Nit picking further experimentation brought me up to 73 grains for both rifles.

These measurements assume you have a properly fitting patch material forming as exact a seal as possible, allowing no blowzy whatever.

To me there was no greater fun than in determining exactly what a rifle demanded.

Dutch Schoultz

.40 caliber rifle was in the mail today, all 9.6 pounds. I'm sorry to say the barrel o.d. has a couple of marks through the blue, other than that it looks pretty good. I've never browned a rifle, but this one is a prime candidate. I'll have to find a decent ramrod. Rifle came equipped with one of those "wet noodle" plastic things.

Back