• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schneider & Glassick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Schneider & Glassick 3643 FR2.jpg

SSB204.jpg

Unlike the Griswold & Gunnison which is given a name when Pietta made the round barrel versions of these......it seems that by simply using existing 51 Navy parts and a brass frame, Pietta makes a somewhat unintentional Schneider & Glassick repro. Even the later Schneider & Glassicks have a one piece grip closer to the repro.

So when people say these aren't a repro of anything, they are wrong :)

Also there is a theory that a "tool room" or prototype of a .44 version may exist somewhere, so all those $170 brass frame .44 "Navy" revolvers that Cabelas sells a million of a year in blister packs are in fact a possible accidental repro of a revolver that "may" have existed.

Today's dose of useless knowledge that most may know but some may not. I figured all 4 people who care about this stuff may exist on this forum.

Yes. The Schneider & Glassick was one of the few copies of the Colt 1851 Navy that had a octagon barrel. Most, as you know, have round barrels.

Quoting "CONFEDERATE HANDGUNS" by William A. Albaught, III, Hugh Benet, Jr. and Edward N. Simmons, © MCMLXIII by George Shumway on page 185 it says,

"... one may wonder if the firm actually existed, but exist it did. This is shown by the customary exaggerated newspaper praise which usually greeted the advent of a new, locally produced weapon. Appearing in the Memphis, Tennessee, Daily Appeal on December 8, 1861, the article is so short as to be terse, but also managed to overstate the truth somewhat.

" Memphis Manufacture-- We were yesterday shown, by Messrs. Schneider and Glassic, of Jefferson Street between Front and Main Streets, a six-shooter Navy pistol of their own manufacture. It is a beatuiful weapon, not inferior to the Colt's make in any particular. The finish of the whole, the accuracy of the parts, and he excellent working of the mechanism are admirable. Iron, brasswork and woodwork are all specimens of skill. We are proud that Memphis can turn out such splendid workmanship." "

I highly recommend this book for anyone seriously interested in the Confederate pistols of the War Between the States. It is expensive but worth the money if you want to learn about the guns made in the Confederate States.

I think only 3 originals exist today, I don't know how many were made.

The one that they showed may be the one in the top picture, as that is thought to be a prototype of the .36. The company made sporting shotguns and rifles.

I have ab FIE version, .36 caliber, gun show find. Glad that I have read about these, or I would have passed on it.

Howdy!

Found this forum today, but I am on a few other ones also.

Some of the "accidental" S&G replicas have an engraved cylinder; to be historically correct it must have a plain cylinder.

My Pietta S&G and Leech & Rigdon:

Regards,

Jim

10 years ago I was able to purchase a "non cataloged" plain Uberti Leech & Rigdon cylinder out of Dixie for my L&R revolver. I don't know if they still sell them.

Dixie currently sells a plain cylinder "Schneider & Glassick".

I figured my Leech and Rigdon wasn't different enough from my Uberti London Navy so I sold it off in 2011 or so. I should have just kept it.

You could probably make it a side gig milling cylinders for people who want this style.

Don't I wish!

I actually milled the safety slots and approaches, but I confess to having my guardian angel (next-door neighbor who has a full machine shop business) guiding me and watching over me like a hawk during the process. He is not into firearms and did this solely as a one-time favor to me.

Jim

For the folks who don't know, several of the Confederate gun companies using 12 notches in the cylinder to lock the cylinder in a position where the hammer would be resting between the nipples.

Because the 6 extra notches fall in line with the chambers in the cylinder, the depth of the chambers is important. If they are too deep it can create a thin wall condition between the notch and the rear of the chamber.

For the folks who don't know, several of the Confederate gun companies using 12 notches in the cylinder to lock the cylinder in a position where the hammer would be resting between the nipples.

Because the 6 extra notches fall in line with the chambers in the cylinder, the depth of the chambers is important. If they are too deep it can create a thin wall condition between the notch and the rear of the chamber.

Never heard of this, maybe I am overthinking this but why not do just one stop? I did one notch deeper on my Remingtons. I ALWAYS rest my hammer there. Finding that one stop is equivalent to loading five chambers and resting the hammer on the empty one in my mind.

AFAIK, the only Confederate makers of 12-stop-slot cylinders were Rigdon & Ansley, Augusta Machine Works, and Columbus Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, all located in Georgia. The Manhattan Firearms Company (Massachusetts) patented this safety feature in 1858, so Colt could not use this on his revolvers. The South couldn't have cared less about patent infringements and used it rather than the fragile safety pins found on the Colt. Rigdon did not start using this feature until he had fulfilled the balance of the Leech & Rigdon contract at SN ~1500 (total L&R/R&A guns were ~2300), and between L&R ~1100 and ~1500 there were no safety pins on the cylinders.
Because the 6 extra notches fall in line with the chambers in the cylinder, the depth of the chambers is important.
The safety slots rest between the chambers where there is much more material. The slots at the nipple/chamber position are not centered over the chambers, but are rather to one side of them: the bolt is on the right side of the frame water table, the trigger is on the left side. (I cheated: the safety slots in my cylinder were milled radially, unlike the factory slots for the firing positions, because it was easier to do and has no bearing upon timing/lockup.)

Photo from Pettifogger. The caption explains why this is so:

If they are too deep it can create a thin wall condition between the notch and the rear of the chamber.

This is true only for the firing -position slots. When Colt's early .44 cylinders starting rupturing (both full-fluted and round types), this was the remedy for this problem:

[Reference: The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver, Charles W. Pate (2018), pp. 134-135]

About 12 years ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger published online a series of installments pertaining to tuning both the Pietta and the Uberti Colt-type revolvers. If you wish to download them, the .pdf files are probably the logical choice for most of us.

It's free.

https://archive.org/download/PettiFogger_Files/TOR Posts pdf/

Regards,

Jim​

sourdough: Your right. The safety notches are in the area that have a lot of material around them. I should have looked at some of my pistols before opening my mouth (or engaging my fingers typing).

Latest posts

Back