• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scam Business Alert - Supposedly Selling Percussion Caps, Etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DO NOT FALL FOR THIS. I know a few guys that were real excited that a store in Texas has plenty of powders, percussion caps and other stuff to load guns in stock. They placed pretty big orders. What they told me did not add up. The website is somewhat impressive. There is a physical address and a phone #. If you use the "Chat" feature on the website someone will engage you. First, I know the area and the zip code is not in the area of the address. There is also no commercial businesses in this particular area. I did three things......1) used the chat feature. Whatever I asked about they said they have and on sale. They were eager to take the order to ship it right out. I asked about shipping cost. They said there is none. I asked what carrier. They said whatever is cheapest. This does NOT jive with HazMat requirements and costs! A few days later I called the #. Someone answered. I asked questions about percussion caps and they could only say the info is on the website. I said my FLINTLOCK needs a powerful PERCUSSION CAP and the guy told me these will work just fine. Later, I used a TracPhone and text that same #. Asked about powder. No minimum amount, no shipping, never mentioned HazMat. I said "let me give you my credit card #". They texted "we only take cash app or Zelle to keep your costs down". I said, never mind I'll just come by the store. They texted "ok then". Today another friend with a different phone texted about something they said is in stock. He knew how to do a fake cash app account. They ran it and said the order didn't process. He said never mind, I'm right nearby in Houston. They said "we are far away near AUSTIN" and "we will save you time and money by shipping it". Then he said "what town again"? They said North Bellville. Well - there is no such place. Just plain old Bellville. I figured the idiots stole the address and don't even realize the ROAD is HWY 36 NORTH. They think there alleged address is HWY 36 and the town is NORTH BELLVILLE. So lastly, since this has been fun so far, we got in the car and drove 2.5 hours to the address. The poor older couple that lives in the 2 Bedroom house on the 5 acres at that address have been there since 2011. There's no business nearby and they never heard of this. When showed their address on the website they were shocked! The website instructions even say , Send all returns to .... the address! Then we called and said, "hey we're here, where's the store. They hung up on us. BEWARE - You need to know what site I'm talking about so I am providing it below. I think you can harmlessly go to the site and see their B.S. but I am not putting the site here for you to look at, just to avoid.

www.protacticalreload.com

Thanks for the heads up. I watch a guy on youtube that messes with over payment scammers. He really rakes them over the coals and its very satisfying to watch. What’s so sad is the people who are the kindest and most open are also the most susceptible. A good friend of mine that would literally give anyone the shirt off of his back, just told me today that he bought a car warranty from the telemarketers. 😢

Thank you, @Sparkitoff . You invested a lot of time in rooting these rascals out!

I was able to buy enough percussion caps for my own limited needs in between shortages. However, I've recently gotten interested in blackpowder cartridge rifles, and the primer situation is identical with what we are seeing for percussion caps.

I am a technological ignoramus, which may sometimes be a blessing. I've no idea how "crypto currencies" or cash apps or Zelle work, and I understand these are the only payment methods accepted by the fly-by-night scammers.

Anyway, I've determined there are three things that hoist red flags:

1) It's a company no experienced shooters have heard of before, but they post excellent customer reviews.

2) They claim to have products that none of the established, reputable dealers can get.

3) They only accept cryptocurrencies, cash apps, or Zelle, all of which I understand are untraceable.

I don't know where to report outfits like these, but in my search for primers, I've run across several.

For guys like me, I think the best strategy may be to just wait it out. Caps and primers are being manufactured, and I believe the market will eventually stabilize, more or less. However, I think periodic ammunition and component shortages have been a recurring phenomenon since the late nineties, when even some intelligent people were worried about the "Y2K Bug." Since then, the ping-ponging of political administrations has stimulated panic buying which results in product shortages, and if you are a serious shooter, you learn to watch the market and stock up when you can. I would like to add that there is a difference between one's stocking up for realistic anticipated needs, and hoarding. However, this current shortage, exacerbated by the pandemic, is about the worst I remember, and predatory scammers seem to have proliferated.

In any event, thanks to @Sparkitoff for letting us know about this one!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
qucik check of the phone # area code "361" is no where near that address,
Area code 361
State
North American area code 361 is a state of Texas telephone area code for numbers in the Corpus Christi area. It was created prior to February 13, 1999, in a split from area code 512.

I am embarrassed to admit I fell for one of these scams. The web address is
Discountfirearmandammo.com
Got me got $135. No recourse. I did report it to the FBI IC3 which is their internet commerce investigators. Probably too small of a crime for the FBI to investigate. But maybe if enough complaints come in some newbie will look into it.

I looked at the site. One of the testimonials said "My favorite weed shop" They sell powder, primers, AND weed? 🤣
If only that were true. I’d love to be able to buy my weed legally right in the same store as my powder, primers & bullets. That would be fantastic. It’s a shame that some ppl still are that uptight about cannabis that we can go into a store & buy alcohol & ammo, but weed & ammo - never gonna happen. Somebody would have to be really really stupid to fall for that one.

I have been on there fake sight and I just don’t know how legally they can still operate, there has to be some kind of law that would stop this kind of activity. I HATE SCAMMERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, There is a special place for people like this.
They are likely operating outside of the country using proxy’s here that may not even realize that they are part of a scam. It’s difficult for the FBI to raid a scam call center in Bagota.

They operate either out of the country or in another state. They are able to somehow list an area code to the city they say they are located but routed either out of the country or another state. Those famous IRS back tax calls payable in gift cards is an example. In reality the scammer with accent is in India operating from a boiler room but the area code shows as DC. 🤡

I have been on there fake sight and I just don’t know how legally they can still operate, there has to be some kind of law that would stop this kind of activity. I HATE SCAMMERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, There is a special place for people like this.
The FBI has a special division (IC3) to pursue fraud online but of course they have bigger fish to fry.

Doesn't look like there is a business building anywhere.....
I agree..a TOTAL scam.
I'm like you...I always wanted to stop by the actual store to get those awesome discounts & pay in cash!

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.49.28 AM.png

Doesn't look like there is a business building anywhere.....
I agree..a TOTAL scam.
I'm like you...I always wanted to stop by the actual store to get those awesome discounts & pay in cash!

View attachment 152585

Agreed on this one, but if you look at Back Creek Gun Shop on googly earth, you'll see an active farm complete with cows in pastures. So is it a scam?

Screenshot (12).png

Examine the picture and you'll see out in the pasture, and at the end of that long driveway into a pasture- a powder magazine. Just next to the farm, you'll see one of the largest dedicated black powder ranges in the world- Ft Shenandoah of the N-SSA. On googly earth, Back Creek looks just like what it is, an active farm but, this farm sells the holy black and is the goto for the N-SSA. After a bit of an informal poll of fellow N-SSA members, I think I can safely say that the N-SSA consumes more of the holy black than all of the NMLRA and a fair slice of the public at large put together. I go through 30+lbs per year and I only shoot small arms. Add in the artillery guys, and it gets crazy. I know of several that shoot artillery and they each go through more than 300-400lbs per year and they're not outliers either. Think I'm kidding? Well in just the last month, folks near the top of Estes/Goex, Wano, and Scheutzen have visited the range and Back Creek Gun Shop.

While Back Creek might look "odd", it's not a scam. The real indicator of a scam is using cash transfer apps like Zelle, advertising really good prices, advertising plenty in stock all the time. Back Creek has experienced some issues with the supply chain, but when the higher ups of all the major powder manufacturers pay a week long visit, that should tell you something.

Bellville, TX is a great little town. Too bad foreigner scammers don't know that.
They have a great BBQ market, a cute town square, and NO Walmart! 🍖
And like almost every small Texas town, they have a Dairy Queen! 🍦
Hwy 36 runs north to Brenham, the home of Blue Bell 🍨 ice cream, and proceeds into the edge of the Hill Country.
Go south to Sealy and I-10, and beyond to Rosenberg. I moved to Sealy in the '80s and met my wife. A little bit east is the family farm, and then the Brazos River. Hence, my alias.
Sealy has a great little Mexican restaurant across from the train tracks, with lunch plates at $6.95. 🌮🌯🫔
I hope the Bellville visitors find the BBQ, and then get a dipped cone, since you can't get any caps or weed. You can legally buy ***, but that's not as much fun! o_O

Back