• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE SCAM ALERT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the money order is cashed the USPS is done with you, the buyer. If the seller doesn’t send what you paid for, you are on your own. With a personal bank check, you at least have bank looking for ID, a copy of the endorsement, potential video of the transaction at the bank counter and likely an account with a bank before the the check is cashed.

OK so a couple of things...., I wrote "offer" a USPS money order. That's a test, because it forces the seller to give you an address..., say "no" if the address is outside the USA. Forgive me for not being more precise.

Once the USPS money order is cashed, if you are ripped off, an LEO can ask the USPS to reveal where the money order was deposited. While yes a bad guy can get false ID's, fooling a bank is a bit harder than a fake ID and some cash into the hands of the doorman at the nightclub, and if he's not making a lot of money in a single score, then he's likely not very sophisticated.

IF you pay with a personal check..., and it's from your regular banking account and not an account that you've set up for such transactions, then the bad guy has your account number and bank routing number on the check that you provided. It's a simple task from that point on to drain your account pretty fast with false checks. ;)

So there is no real way to stop all the fraud, but this guy is pretty obvious.

He is new
He has few if any posts (look on his Avatar)
He never sells, but "knows" somebody who does, and gives you the email
When you write, you get a reply with a great offer on a sale, and likely get photos from the internet

He thinks the amounts are small, so nobody will really follow up.
He uses the "friend email" as he thinks this cuts him out of any follow-up investigation.
He likely is in another country, and the PayPal money or any other service goes into one account, then launches it to another account...BUT
He seems to write good English.... better than say Google Translator, so he might be in the USA or Canada.
He is likely NOT at all able to converse about black powder, otherwise he'd have spotted that we are noticing his lack of comments, and would build up a comment count before trying a rip-off.

LD

Unless you sent the money by "friends & family", You can file a request to get your money back through PayPal. I purchased a lead furnace from some leach on armslist, used PayPal to pay...long story short never got the item and no longer had contact. Figuring this seller was the South end of a North bound mule and a career leach on the backside of society, I waited until the 1st of the month to file my complaint in anticipation his welfare check would be in the bank. In a matter of days the money was back in my account.
[/QUO yes I did it that way. that is the way he wanted it sent. so the $ is gone. do these people even have a conscience?

If the seller hasn't been on here at least 2 years, with a good number of posts then I will not be interested.
The money I have did not come easy, and it will not go easily to a thief.
i have a rule, if i agree to buy any guns on line, i must talk to the person on the phone before i send any money! most scammers will not talk to you because all of them are cowards and can't speak American anyway!
Once you have a home phone number it’s very easy to get an address. After all there are BP shooters nation wide that may help.
Doc,

A person that steals and has done it for a while can steal the shortening out of a biscuit and never break the crust! We have no chance against him . He is a pro! I to have been burnt. I let a man have an Old Fred Bear bow in like new condition for $150.00 and he gave me $20.00 with a promise to pay $130.00 balance? I have never seen him sense? This was a deal done in person frow someone I thought I knew!

Lots of good scam prevention information posted.

Scammers seem to use gmail a lot. gmail is a red flag warning.

Equipment scammers on craigslist almost exclusively use gmail accounts.
Seems like half or more of the world uses Gmail. Hell, I use Gmail. I am sort of surprised when someone gives me their email and it's not Gmail.

Too bad someone can't make a big example of this excretion. With tempers running high he may be playing a dangerous game.

I once had a person do that to me ...I contacted the police department of that city, filled out a police report online and filled out a form that I would prosecute. The police dept sent a detective to the sellers home and advised him he was going to jail. I got my refund back. I would have travelled outwest to prosecute and appear in court. It is the principal of the thing.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I am in contact now with an email from stevenmatthew118@gmail to buy his Pedersoli side by side shotgun. He wants me to Venmo or use another transaction from my bank account. I asked him if I could pick up the gun using cash because he doesn't accept personal check. He said he is in Dallas but his "stepson" has a paypal account that i can use to buy this shotgun. By all means fellow forum users stay AWAY from [email protected]! You Will lose your money! I understand from a previous forum member this same person used the email: [email protected]

The benefit many, though not all of us, have here is that we've met folks who frequent the forum and we may have made purchases here from others. I have around 7 or 8 different purchases of items from folks on the forum. I've meet 3 members in person, know another personally, and have had communications with others. I think nobody should take offense if a buyer or seller asked for time to gain references on the other party. I'd like to think several folks here could vouch for me and I'd be pleased to do the same for others.
I agree with you, I have a gun for sale on here and wouldn't mind one bit if the guy needed more reference from me or whatever!

Reactions: smo
If you send the slimeball payment thru the USPS, then he is liable for mail fraud. I know the postal inspectors DO NOT PLAY AROUND! So the slimeball probably won't accept payment via mail, which is a HUGE RED FLAG.
If your PayPal account is covered by a credit card you may have recourse thru the CC company.

Btw, this slimeball keeps coming back with different IPs.

Be vigilant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back