• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scabbard For American Hanger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Iron mounted scabbard for a 24" bladed hanger. Copied/inspired from an original 18th c. scabbard which I assume to have been English. Throat and drag was made from 22 ga. sheet steel. Locket/frog button was filed from 1/8" steel, and brazed to the throat and post. A 20D nail was used to make the post. The drag/chape was hammer shaped over a form in two pieces, then brazed together. The leather is 7/8oz vege-tan, with a center seam sewn with linen thread. Lightly dyed with Fiebings British tan sprits dye, and oiled. Both mounts were lightly aged to match the sword, and glued to the leather. Hope you enjoy a look.

Wow, what a great job from end to end. I can only imagine what it was like turning out such a long, curved center seam. :hatsoff:

That's real different results (more red) than I ever get with Fiebing British Tan. I wonder if it's a difference in our leather sources.

You're right- It could well be the oil because I haven't been using it.

In any case, your results encourage me to reach for the oil!

Thanks for the reply, and as always, especially for your generous guidance to all of us.

A very nice job! I like seeing work that if it were possible to drop it back into the era in which it was used that nobody would look twice at it... :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back