• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saving bacon grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So I just found out saving bacon grease for later uses is rather popular and I have been missing out for years.

So how many of you fine folks save it and how do you use it in recipes and/or cooking?

Is it a nice cave you have been living in? :haha: :v just kidding

We only have bacon about once a month, but there is a small jar in the door of the fridge.

Good for
Greens
Browning elk or deer
Flavor grits
Giving pills to dogs

Yea yea Sean. I see being honest didn't shield me. In my defense, I have been eating better the past few years.

That's the type of cooking I was thinking about. Can't be any worse than oil. Plus a lot more flavorful.

We're southerners and eat bacon (and eggs) for breakfast every morning. It's much better for you than the vegetable oil and such.

Ever been to Cracker Barrel and had their green beans? Cooked in bacon grease. We use it like butter with many recipes from steaks to cakes.

Recently, my supply of coconut oil ran out and I had a hankering for popcorn. So I took a couple of spoonfuls of rendered bacon grease out of the mason jar and plopped them into the rice pot then poured a cup of corn over them. The popped corn tasted even more awesome!

Bacon makes everything taste better.

BTW, My cholesterol is normal and better than my average weight buddies whose diets are full of those synthetic foods and additives.

Too bad for you Clyde! The ones around here serve fine chow, at least according to my tastebuds.

Never heard of that Imusa grease dispenser before. Thanks for posting, still haven't figured out how it works though! :hmm:

We just save our drippings in a jar, then when full, render it through cheesecloth into another jar. Going slow with thick cheesecloth, it usually takes just one time to get it nice and clean.

An IMUSA grease pot is just a really large tin(aluminum) cup/pot with a lid and a internal strainer to separate the bits and chunks.....

Hikers, backpackers and bushcrafters use them as cook pots. they are about 5 bucks at Wally World.... :grin:

colorado clyde said:
swathdiver said:
Ever been to Cracker Barrel

Once......The food was terrible... :barf:

I usually end up at one about every five years since about the time I was 8, and each time I regret not opting to eat the barrel. No redeeming qualities.

Anybody wanting to replicate the Cracker Barrel experience at home: Take the jankiest microwavable meal you can find at your local discount store, make sure it says "fully cooked" on the package as you will want it half frozen on the inside when you microwave it for half the recommended time. Dump all the salt you own on top, and eat it next to a quilt and something made out of wicker: Voila, the Cracker Barrel experience....

We save all our bacon grease. Got that grease can on the counter and use the stuff for everything. Frying eggs, cooking potato's, drizzling on green beans, YUMM!!! Sadly, we use it faster than we make it!!

We also render lard too, and use that for making biscuit's, frying, etc.

Well the experts tell you it isn't healthy- lots of saturated fat but to be honest, I live where folks use it an seem to live longer so go figure. I strain it in a screen "spider". It cooks hotter- only way to get really crispy fish, chicken. Wild trout fried in bacon fat.

crockett said:
Well the experts tell you it isn't healthy- lots of saturated fat but to be honest, I live where folks use it an seem to live longer so go figure. I strain it in a screen "spider". It cooks hotter- only way to get really crispy fish, chicken. Wild trout fried in bacon fat.

Seems the food at them yankee Cracker Barrel restaurants aint like those in the south! :rotf:

They lied to us about margarine and those oils being healthier. When I tossed all that manure in the garbage and went back to the natural my numbers dropped and went quickly back to normal. Had to learn my doctors and the numbers don't lie.

Gene L said:
In WW 2, lard was scarce and everyone saved bacon grease. I'm not sure if you need to refrigerate it; you don't have to with lard.

I don't refrigerate the bacon grease, we use it too fast. I do keep the lard in the fridge, keeps it out of my way in the kitchen.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
Anybody wanting to replicate the Cracker Barrel experience at home: Take the jankiest microwavable meal you can find at your local discount store, make sure it says "fully cooked" on the package as you will want it half frozen on the inside when you microwave it for half the recommended time. Dump all the salt you own on top, and eat it next to a quilt and something made out of wicker: Voila, the Cracker Barrel experience....

Hey! I think we ate at the same place.....That's exactly what my meal was like.... :haha: :thumbsup:

I don't usually do chain restaurants.... All that frozen factory made cooked in a speed oven food is .... :barf:

Tallswife said:
We save all our bacon grease. Got that grease can on the counter and use the stuff for everything. Frying eggs, cooking potato's, drizzling on green beans, YUMM!!! Sadly, we use it faster than we make it!!

We also render lard too, and use that for making biscuit's, frying, etc.

What time is supper or breakfast?.....I don't want to be late.... :wink:

I keep a coffee can of it in the freezer (okay maybe two, one strained, the other is straight from the pan.)

Do some reading at Mark's Daily Apple or "Eat like a Predator not Like Prey" (follow the research links here), and learn that/why the bacon fat IS "eating better," than seed oils/margarin/etc.

Add it to greens, beans (green/string not grain beans), brown meat, grease fish for the grill, sear scallops or fresh tuna steak. If you still eat breads, bacon grease adds great flavor to corn or clam fritters.

Gene L said:
In WW 2, lard was scarce and everyone saved bacon grease. I'm not sure if you need to refrigerate it; you don't have to with lard.
Don't have to but I do like Ma Williams used to do. Pour into mason jar, put reasonably tight plastic coaster on top and stick in teh old Coldspot frig. Nothing better for fish.

Latest posts

Back