• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sausage time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I probably will be chastised for this but I have been using these products from Lem for several years now. Wondering if any others have tried them. We think they are pretty good. I tried my hand at making my own seasoning blend but that didn’t taste as good. I use the Chipotle Bourbon for the breakfast sausage, it has a fair amount of Brown sugar in it. The hot Italian is not to hot, so I add 1/4 tsp of Cheyenne pepper to the 5 lb mix.

Attachments

• E0B0A99F-53A5-4E81-92E8-DD3F1F39B995.jpeg
    E0B0A99F-53A5-4E81-92E8-DD3F1F39B995.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
I have not use those. For about 20 years my family has been using legs old plantation sausage seasoning. I grew up in South America and you cannot buy breakfast sausage. My father, being the industrious person he was started, grinding his own pork and making it at home. We had my grandparents send us some premixed seasoning with a team. It turned out to be legs old plantation. As word grew in the north American community that we had breakfast sausage my father saw a means for us kids to make some spending money. It started off with butchering 2 to 3 pigs a year. By the time I graduated high school we were butchering every month or every other month. Everything but the tenderloins and loins went into the sausage. It is an excellent season if you want to try something new. They recently re-packaged their product. This is their old packaging.
Aaron

Attachments

• A1AF0C20-B287-457F-953F-65092FB33F26.jpeg
    A1AF0C20-B287-457F-953F-65092FB33F26.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have not use those. For about 20 years my family has been using legs old plantation sausage seasoning. I grew up in South America and you cannot buy breakfast sausage. My father, being the industrious person he was started, grinding his own pork and making it at home. We had my grandparents send us some premixed seasoning with a team. It turned out to be legs old plantation. As word grew in the north American community that we had breakfast sausage my father saw a means for us kids to make some spending money. It started off with butchering 2 to 3 pigs a year. By the time I graduated high school we were butchering every month or every other month. Everything but the tenderloins and loins went into the sausage. It is an excellent season if you want to try something new. They recently re-packaged their product. This is their old packaging.
Aaron
Thanks Arron, I will look them up. Going for hogs in SC in 3 weeks so I may need more seasoning

I use the Eldon's sausage blends. Add a touch of extra sage to their Old West breakfast sausage blend and it is perfect. Also add just a touch of fennel to the Italian sausage and it is likewise.

https://www.eldonsausage.com/Breakfast-Sausage-Seasoning-p/b-886.htm
You might like their hot Italian sausage......too hot for me so I use the sweet version

https://www.eldonsausage.com/Sweet-Italian-Sausage-Seasoning-p/b-887.htm
https://www.eldonsausage.com/
25 lbs of Sweet Italian off of a feral hog.

italian.JPG

Last edited:
I have been using the Legg's brand seasoning myself mostly { when not mixing my own seasonings } and like the Leggs brand. They offer a wide variety of blends to choose from and I find then reasonably priced to boot.

It's great to hear that you've found a product that works well for you in your cooking! There's nothing wrong with using pre-made seasoning blends or spice mixes if they help you achieve the taste and flavor profile you're looking for in your dishes. Different people have different tastes and preferences when it comes to seasoning and spices, so what works for one person may not work for another. As long as you enjoy the flavors and your family is happy with the food, that's what matters most.

I've been trying to come up with a recipe that can be used for dinner and tastes sort of like Polish or Southern Smoked sausage. I've been trying to cut out the fat and use some sort of cereal filler. Recently I've tried oatmeal and cooked rice along with powdered milk as a binder. I use just pork, no beef. Natural casings but the fake stuff would probably be okay.
Rather than add the pickling salts I cook them right away and freeze until I need them.
Any recipes appreciated.
The mountain men...The French trappers showed them how to do it, diced up buffalo into little cubes and mixed with the bone marrow fat- salt, wild onions, cooked on hot rocks- I bet it tasted pretty good.

I've been trying to come up with a recipe that can be used for dinner and tastes sort of like Polish or Southern Smoked sausage. I've been trying to cut out the fat and use some sort of cereal filler. Recently I've tried oatmeal and cooked rice along with powdered milk as a binder. I use just pork, no beef. Natural casings but the fake stuff would probably be okay.
Rather than add the pickling salts I cook them right away and freeze until I need them.
Any recipes appreciated.
The mountain men...The French trappers showed them how to do it, diced up buffalo into little cubes and mixed with the bone marrow fat- salt, wild onions, cooked on hot rocks- I bet it tasted pretty good.
https://www.eldonsausage.com/category-s/2006.htm
Fat substitute

https://www.eldonsausage.com/Fat-Substitute-p/b-592.htm

Thanks- never heard about a fat substitute. My problem is what I've been doing comes out too dry according to some folks that have had it.

Thanks- never heard about a fat substitute. My problem is what I've been doing comes out too dry according to some folks that have had it.
It has some whey and collegen, buddy uses it for goose sausage and it really adds some nice texture and moisture

On the texture thing, that's why I added oatmeal, the rice was okay as a fat substitute but the oatmeal added some texture, I do about 50/50 but as I said, those near me don't think it's that good.
BTW- in south Louisiana is "Boudin" which uses rice, so rice is used by at least some folks.

Yes. In Spain, morcilla (blood sausage) is sometimes made with rice, other times with straight onion. I prefer straight onion as it imparts a sweet flavor, but I will eat the rice version if that is all I can get. Rice makes it too dry in my opinion.

The Cubans make moronga which is a differently spiced latin american version of Spanish morcilla, but surprisingly I have never seen it with rice, even though rice is popular with them.

Last edited:
I have made traditional style boudin sausage with your typical blend of pork/liver and rice but have also made it with squirrel and farro as a substitute for rice and it wasn't half bad .

I lived in Germany for a long time and have an affinity for good sausage. Alas, the US is lacking in this time-honored tradition and has morphed some German favorites into something I PERSONALLY find less palatable. So on that note, I do it myself. One key is GOOD pork, not a market brand. Finding spice mixes may require the use of the metric system and Google translate but eventually, with perseverance and persistence, it works. and tasty keyhole bratwurst that almost makes you feel like you are in Nuernberg come out.

You must try LEM landjaeger. It’s fantastic! I also use their hot link, make it a bit hotter, stuff it in sheep casings. Smoke them and pickle them by the quart jar. Absolutely one of my favorites. Their bratwurst blends are great also.

Latest posts

Back