• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Satin/ Matt finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any finish can be made into a matte finish by choosing how to treat it after you’re satisfied the finish is really into the wood and doesn’t need more applications. I use mineral oil and pumice (fairly aggressive) or rottenstone (finer and gives a little shine). Saturate a square of right woven fabric in mineral oil then dip into a tray of one powder or the other. Rub with the grain direction. Reload with oil and powder as you work the length of the stock. Wipe off with paper towel.

Easy way, use Tru-oil and put it on with a 1" square of a green scotch bright pad, scrub it in with each application, quickly wipe off the excess with a rag, use a clean pad for each coat, 5 coats should do it just fine.

I put on 4 or 5 coats of Birchwood Casey walnut stock sealer and sand it back to fil the pores before I apply the Tru-oil. The sealer dries in a minute or so.

Here it is, 5 coats of Tru-oil applied with a scotch bright pad. TC Hawken that i reworked the cheek piece and slimmed down the wrist.

finish 5 coats.JPG

Back