SAR/DAR Members?

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by SgtErv, Sep 30, 2016.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 19, 2019 #21

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

I have long wanted to join SAR but lost some family history paperwork in a move and cannot connect a couple generations. My Rev ancestor, supposedly, was fellow named Benjamin Miller who was a cousin to George Washington (who wasn't) and was his personal messenger. As I understand it, requirements for SAR are much less stringent than for DAR. I'm a Master Mason but never heard of the Sojourners until reading this thread.

2. Jan 19, 2019 #22

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years! MLF Supporter

I don't think The SAR is any less diligent in vetting it's members than The DAR, but I could be wrong. Either one you must have the hard documents for proof. My sister is a DAR regent. We applied at the same time. Her application was approved long before mine. About 6 months before. However some of that has to do with how many applications they are working with so it is kind of an Apples to Oranges thing.

3. Jan 20, 2019 #23

Woodwright

Woodwright

Woodwright

32 Cal.

Rifleman1776, I am the registrar for the Black Warrior River Chapter, Alabama Society, SAR. It is my job to assist potential members is assembling the necessary documentation needed to apply for membership in the SAR. I would be happy to assist you to the extent I am able, in proving your ascendancy from a Revolutionary War ancestor. You may e-mail me if you wish at jkbarksdale@hotmail.com.

PluggedNickel likes this.
  4. Jan 20, 2019 #24

Anne VM

Anne VM

Anne VM

32 Cal

I am in the process of joining DAR. My Rev Soldier's brother had been vetted but not my direct ancestor. It has been a very long process and am finally signing final application to turn in. Myself, a sister, daughter and niece are all joining in my Mother's memory. Time did not wait and she was unable to join.
    Good luck on your process.

5. Jan 23, 2019 #25

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Thank you. If I ever discover that documentation (hopefully just misplaced) I'll contact you.

6. Jan 24, 2019 #26

ikesdad

ikesdad

ikesdad

Pilgrim

I reckon I cant partake of membership. My people were at King's Mountain however.....Loyalists.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Shot deer likes this.
  7. Feb 21, 2019 #27

sooter76

sooter76

sooter76

40 Cal.

Does it count if you're descended from a Hessian... ;-p

8. Feb 22, 2019 #28

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Can’t hurt, my ancestors were both, German, and Patriots.

9. Mar 3, 2019 #29

Bo T

Bo T

Bo T

40 Cal.

I don't know if might help anyone but Ancestry has a new DNA/family tree composite that is in the beta stage. I spent a couple of hours on it last night and ended up with 4 very probable revolutionary war veteran fourth and fifth great grand fathers. In the documentation they usually SAR and DAR listed with the (at the time) immediate family members.

10. Mar 3, 2019 #30

Longhunter7

Longhunter7

Longhunter7

32 Cal

Longhunter7, SAR NSSAR, ILSSAR, Illinois State Chapter, Fox Valley Chapter, member Since 2011

11. Jul 11, 2019 #31

TNBandit

TNBandit

TNBandit

32 Cal

Member of the Tennessee chapter. So far I've found 4 ancestors who fought in the war including 2 who were minutemen and who were present at that little event that took place on Apr 19 1775. Sgt Seth Brooks being one of them. He was under the command of Captain Isaac Davis who was the first officer killed on the first day of the war. Here are the East India Company Brown Bess muskets that belonged to Seth Brooks (later converted to percussion) and of Captain Samuel Farrar. Both muskets along with several thousand others as well as cannon were captured from a British Privateer by the French and given to the colonists. Neither musket was present at the Concord battle being dated 1779. They were used later in the war. 1779 Brown Bess' Seth Brooks and Samuel Farrar.JPG The bayonet is also dated 1779 and marked with the heart symbol of the East India Company.

ScottE and PluggedNickel like this.
  12. Jul 11, 2019 #32

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I could qualify for a SAR (Sons of the American Revolution) as my grandmother was a DAR. My mom wasn't interested in carrying on the membership so it petered out after my grandmother died. My moms father (my grandfather) could trace his lineage back to Edward Bompass who was one of the passengers on the "Fortune", the second ship after the Mayflower to land at Plymouth. It made port in November 1621.

13. Jul 11, 2019 #33

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Wow, quit the heritage TNBandit! Very nice pieces you got there! Across/by/near (I've seen it vary) the rude bridge that arched the flood, their flag to April's breeze unfurled, here once the embattled farmers stood, and fired the "shoot heard 'round the world!" Ralph Waldo Emerson from the poem "Concord Hymn."

Wake me up when the Red Coats and loyalist's get here will ya? In the mean time I think I'll have a cup of Grog with my Gruel, and take a nap! My patriot ancestor's were indentured servant farmers, German immigrant peasants in other words, working to pay back their voyage to the "free world," and then fighting to keep that freedom. I'm smiling because the Brits, haven't caught and hung me YET!
    My kin probably fought the Hessian's as well. German's fighting German's, both sides too stubborn to quit! A sight to behold I'm guessing.
    From what I've seen of Britsmoothie's hunting skills, he would have had no trouble dispatching me himself, without the aide of any Hession's. In my day, I was a fair wing shot, not so much these days, shoulders are gone, arthritic. On my best days, I probably wasn't as good as my Brit friend though. I've got a grandson that is a very competitive trap and skeet shooter though. He didn't get it from me though!
    I'll be in full minuteman dress at the Fair at New Boston, Springfield, Ohio, with the SAR booth in September!
    Minuteman George.jpg
    SAR George.jpg

TNBandit likes this.
  14. Jul 11, 2019 #34

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Well, then Pilgrim, you should join up! LOL
    That makes sense really, explains why you are into the living history, and US history, since you go back to the beginings!
    Seriously, Zonie, it would be very easy to become a member for you. Those DAR applications and histories are all recorded. It still takes time to go through the paper work, but the hard part is already done, unless there are exceptions to any of the Patriot ancestor's documents. Some DAR and SAR, older memberships have since been challenged or questioned, but even then, it is possible to prove them today, ever more so than in the past with Ancestry.com and the Internet.
    My situation was the same. Great aunt was a member, but others didn't follow suit. I found out why when doing my research. Turned out she never encourage any of us to join, because her sister, my grandmother, was pregnant with her first child and only son, prior to her wedding.
    I found this out with the birth and marriage records I had to chase down at county court house. They had false dates on the family bibles. My aunt carried her sister's secret to the grave with her. My older sister was terribly upset about this when we found this to be true. I told her our grandparents loved each other, and stayed together the rest of their lives. Get over it, and don't be such a prude.
    We never told our younger sister about it though. She never joined the DAR, so we felt no need to upset her too, although, I don't think she would have been as upset as my older sister was.
    So there you go, I've let the cat out of the bag. I don't expect any of my family will be reading this, and if they do, so what. Facts are funny things aren't they, sometimes they are an inconvenient truth huh? ;)
    SAR members are always willing to help with applications too.
    But, as you can see, it is always possible to dig up some family bones along the way to discovery, seems there are skeletons in lots of family closets. YMMV!
    As and aside, another odd thing was all the people on the ship that our great grandmother came over on where listed as mulattoes. My sister believes that was a mistake, as there is no record of that in the family, and our great grandmother appears to be all white, German in pictures of her. Anyway, who cares? Unless, of course they are going to start handing out reparations for slavery huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. Jul 12, 2019 #35

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Guys, I do get it if someone has no interest in the DAR or SAR. It isn't for everyone. And, believe me, I understand about dues that come with memberships. I belong to too many groups myself. SASS, SAR, VFW, NRA, NMLRA and others over the years. Money only goes so far! Hey, at least I'm not paying union dues anymore! Did that for 45 years too! Didn't always agree with how those dues were being spent either. But, I digress. I'm bad about doing that as you all know. A moderator's nightmare. You have been very kind to me though, babbling old fool that I am.

16. Jul 13, 2019 #36

gharrod

gharrod

gharrod

32 Cal.

I have Revolutionary War ancestors myself. Several of my cousins have used them to join DAR and SAR, and so could I, but I already belong to more organizations such as NRA, NVGC, Masons, Scottish Rite, VSSA, SASS, AL, CCA, S&WCA, N&WHS, etc., and even though I'm totally retired now, I still don't have the time I would like to have to devote to all of them.

17. Jul 13, 2019 #37

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

I know what you mean. I too don't have as much time as I thought I would now that I'm retired. I'm just more active in other activities than the job, and getting a lot more done around the home place for sure. All those back burner projects I'm chipping away at now. There is always something needing repair or replacement once you think your going to get caught up though, that is for sure.
    I forgot a couple of other outfits I subscribe to or am a member as well. I do enjoy the SAR very much. If your a fan of American history you would as well. Like SASS, the members are friendly and helpful. Living history events are a hoot too!

18. Jul 16, 2019 at 3:04 PM #38

TNBandit

TNBandit

TNBandit

32 Cal

IMG_3091.JPG View attachment 12217
    Unfortunately those muskets don't belong to me. But they have stayed in the family being in the possession of a cousin in New Hampshire so at least they weren't lost. The closest I could afford on my limited budget was to buy a "kit" from IMA and restore it. It's one of the East India Company muskets that came from the huge stash in Nepal several years ago. The story is they were EIC Brown Bess muskets that had the original markings scrubbed off and the crest of the Gurkhas engraved. Having rebuilt nearly everything I suspect some of the parts were Nepal made rather than being original British manufacture. Quite the challenge to get it right since the parts are 200+ years old, were badly stored, and the wood is reproduction stuff made in India or some such place. I think it came out fairly well though and for the 4th of July I fired it for the first time in a couple centuries.