• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sandhill Crane with Pedersoli 10 gauge.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad Alan

32 Cal
Reaction score
So a few years ago a really good waterfowl hunting buddy and I got permits to hunt Sandhill Cranes here in Tennessee. He had been hunting them with his Pedersoli 10 gauge SxS muzzleloader. We went out and killed four cranes one day. He actually doubled and I borrowed his 10 gauge to kill one. Needless to say I was hooked. I finally found one of big pedersoli’s and bought it. It is the one with screw in chokes and chrome lined barrels. As you can see in the pic I was successful this morning. I missed with the first barrel but connected with the second. My load consisted of 110 grains by volume of Goex ffg black powder. My wad combo is a little different. First I seat a thin over shot card over the powder. Then two 1/8” lubed felt wads then another thin over shot card. 1-1/2 ounces of bismuth #B is poured in for shot. Then a thin over shot card seated to hold the shot in. Capped with CCI #11 magnum percussion caps. I use the modified choke tube in right barrel and the IM choke tube in left barrel.
upload_2019-12-9_16-28-40.png

upload_2019-12-9_16-29-33.png

A picture of the load sequence.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-9_16-28-7.png
    upload_2019-12-9_16-28-7.png
    789.2 KB · Views: 57
Well done.
What do them birds taste like?
It does depend on what the bird has been eating. Sandhills usually eat a lot of freshwater crayfish and small fish. I once had Sandhill crane in northern Michigan that tasted like moldy cat food soaked in Cod liver oil, but not that good! The Yoopers I was with swore it was fantastic!

It does depend on what the bird has been eating. Sandhills usually eat a lot of freshwater crayfish and small fish. I once had Sandhill crane in northern Michigan that tasted like moldy cat food soaked in Cod liver oil, but not that good! The Yoopers I was with swore it was fantastic!
The birds around here eat in the grain fields and also eat something out of the mud flats along the river. I have no idea what they get out of the mud.

I saw some picking up and tossing around something as big as a cat and bloody, killer cranes from outer space

I believe they are called "the ribeye of the sky" I have eaten sandhill crane many years ago.

Fleener

That is awesome! Taking a Sandhill Crane with a ML is on my bucket list. We have them nearby, but I have been hesitant to use my 20b shotgun for it. I do not have a public or personal spot so I would be paying a landowner or a guide a few bucks for the hunt and would like to make sure my equipment is up to the task. Great hunt for you, congratulations!

Back