• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

San Diego?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined the Imperial Valley club. It's almost an hour and 45 minutes to get out there, but it's a great range. The price is right, too! I looked into Rainbow, but they require NRA membership--no exceptions. I cancelled my NRA membership at the same time (and for the same reason) as Bush 41, so that's pretty much that for Rainbow, unfortunately. I'll check out Escondido next.

I was born in El Cajon and lived off and on in Cal. til I was 18 years old. In the 50's it was a great place for a kid to be, out on Kearny mesa with a rifle. Nowadays I think Kearny mesa is a giant neighborhood. The politics of the state keep me from even visiting anymore. I am always armed and they don't like that much over there. I get along here in Az. just fine. It does do my heart good to hear that BP shooting is alive and well over there though.

My gosh, I found people just like me! I was born in San Diego (hillside hospital on El Cajon Blvd), raised a family and now less than a year until retirement and moving to my other home in Joshua Tree. Parents bought a new house in Kearny Mesa in 1958, Dad still lives there. Used to ride my 20" bike north past Miramar to hunt rabbits off a dirt road that's now called Mira Mesa Blvd. Dad used to fly RC off the old runways called Hourglass field, now it's a Jr college. I still cherish the days when high school ROTC has a firing range on campus, now they'll deny it and have you admonished if you even mention it. I spent many years through my life training and shooting a the police pistol range on Home Ave.. I hear they don't allow public shooting much any more, if ever.
Long time shooter, now getting into BP. Hard to get started without advice from experienced people around. I used to shoot at SBR&G but found them VERY clique-ish and downright snobs. Maybe I'm just annoyed by the gendarmes at larger organized ranges that seem to enjoy controlling the participants a little much.
I'm lucky that there's BLM land with open shooting just a golf-cart ride from my place in Joshua Tree, hoping to find some BP guys up there. For now, I'm stalking the groups on the internet :)

Gun owners against the NRA? Friends like this who needs enemies
Hate to say it but I did too. For me it was their total lack of results defending 2A rights in this state, and spending all their time looking for more money from members. After awhile it just felt like I was sending money into a black hole.

JTspirit, I too was born in Hillside Hospital, July 1944, and my parents also bought a house out on Kearny mesa in 1957. Hourglass field was where we went on Saturday evenings to have drag races. Between Hourglass field and Miramar nas there was a long east west canyon we called rifle canyon and would go there to shoot sometimes. Took my first gun safety course with the boy scouts in that canyon. SeemIn the canyon tere were a couple of ponds where we would go to catch bluegills. San clemente canyon had a good size lake at the east end and we'd go there to shoot mud hens, Out on Kearny mesa there was a spring with a nice lake there. A boy in my Clairemont High class of 62 named Russell Hayden was accidently killed there by his hunting partner who I won't name. Seems we have a real similar early history.

JTspirit, I too was born in Hillside Hospital, July 1944, and my parents also bought a house out on Kearny mesa in 1957. Hourglass field was where we went on Saturday evenings to have drag races. Between Hourglass field and Miramar nas there was a long east west canyon we called rifle canyon and would go there to shoot sometimes. Took my first gun safety course with the boy scouts in that canyon. SeemIn the canyon tere were a couple of ponds where we would go to catch bluegills. San clemente canyon had a good size lake at the east end and we'd go there to shoot mud hens, Out on Kearny mesa there was a spring with a nice lake there. A boy in my Clairemont High class of 62 named Russell Hayden was accidently killed there by his hunting partner who I won't name. Seems we have a real similar early history.
Hi! you're a decade before me. What street was your parent's house? I'm going to guess you went to Ross? Mine was on Beagle Ct right adjacent to what became Mesa College's football bowl but it was just canyons when we moved there. Went to Beale but it's gone now, the campus eventually became property of the jr college system.
I bought a home in Mira Mesa in the 80s, and another one in Joshua Tree in the early 2000s right after my divorce. Wound up keeping the Mira Mesa place so I stayed to keep the kids stable but now they're gone and I'm transitioning to Joshua Tree full time, The city isnt anything like it used to be, south of I-8 it's Tijuana Norte and to the north of the highway it's Baja Los Angeles. Can you believe that little 4 lane that was the 395 is now a 12 lane super-slab?? Mira Mesa was once a great middle income bedroom cul-de-sac but now it's full of multi-family asians and transient traffic of people trying to avoid the highways - the street parking is so bad many folks have taken to putting out traffic cones to mark their territory.
Joshua Tree is just a bunch of 10 acre places filled with artists and retired hippies with a "do you own thing" vibe.
I fly out to Yuma to visit real American gun shops once a year or so, I epecially like the full-auto place out to the east but haven't been there in awhile.. I've been working on getting an AZ state ID card - that's all it takes to purchase fireamrs at most places there. My wife shoots with a ladies group once a month but she just doesnt have the strength to rack the slide on her H&K anymore. There's an S&W .380 EZ that has a very light spring but the stoopid gun laws in CA make it hard to sell - AZ has them in stock :)
In the mean time, I'm trying out ML.

Hi everyone:
I just found your Forum, and joined today. In the 1960s my extraordinary Dad researched, designed and built a museum-quality flintlock pistol from raw steel, spring steel, brass, tiger maple, and a whale's tooth (see photos). The only parts that he did not fabricate 100% were the inside of the barrel/bore, and the field case's hinges and lockset. He tragically died recently, and I have the honor of inheriting this very special pistol, field case, and assorted accessories.
The only day this pistol was shot was in 1971, my Dad and I spent a few hours experimenting.
I would appreciate advice regarding a ML-centric supply store within 4 hours of San Diego, and reliable YouTubes regarding cleaning and maintenance.
Many thanks!
-Sam

Attachments

• 20210809_163305.jpg
    20210809_163305.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210809_163343.jpg
    20210809_163343.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 49
In reference to the BP shoot at the Escondido Fish & Game in Escondido..It IS open to the public and it is held on the 4th Sunday of the month, NOT the last. Also, check their newsletter calendar for the specific month's activities. I'm also an RSO there.

Hate to say it but I did too. For me it was their total lack of results defending 2A rights in this state, and spending all their time looking for more money from members. After awhile it just felt like I was sending money into a black hole.
I got sick of them constantly calling, mailing and begging for money. I would re-up and a month later get a letter asking me to extend and donate. I called them and complained about it and said I’ll upgrade to a life membership if they will stop harassing me. I did, and they didn’t. Less than a month later they called begging for more. I told them to cancel my membership and refund my money and they said how about we give you the life membership at half price and we never bother you again? I said OK and they haven’t bothered me since. I hate all the political infighting and paying for LaPierres suits and hunting trips but what’s the alternative really?

I'm enjoying all this San Diego talk.
I've been there a few times. First time was back in 1967. I went to the zoo. The mini-skirt was a new thing then. I still remember two very nice looking young women in mini-skirts leaning over a railing to look at the monkeys. I stood, looking, behind them.
Given California's anti-gun, extreme liberal reputation among most us in other parts of the nation; I am surprised at all the clubs and shooting ranges that you folks have mentioned.
I lived in Yuma, Arizona from 1979 to the spring of 1986. I enjoyed roaming the desert hunting guail, doves, rabbits, and water fowl on the Colorado River. Plenty of fond memories.
But, I grew up in New Jersey, and like you, almost all the places where I used to hunt are now in housing projects, commercial areas, or parking lots. As a 14 year old I often walked through my suburban neighborhood carrying a shotgun, and out into the surrounding fields and woods. Sure, can't do that today!

Back