• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

San Deigo Deer hunt "journal"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimikinz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had planned on doing a cronicle of my local San Diego deer seasons so that I could show that not all of us out here in the land of fruits and nuts are not ultra liberal, vegan, anti-everything-fun, wackos who can't mind their own business. As it turns out, however,this first rifle season (which I proudly hunt with my ML)ended on the first day, so not much of a journal!

As usual, I thought for about 1 second that I would pass up this buck to wait for something better, but I didn't... :rotf: I figure its San Diego, not Utah or something! And all I see is a steak on legs anyway.

Spent the morning looking around with a buddy in a "new" spot that turned into a freakin' mad house. I know its public, but I at least like to pretend that I'm out there by myself. It also kind of nice not to have to get all the strange looks and comments when guys see the strange mountain man out in the woods :thumbsup:

We kicked it around and decided to head to Ol' Faithful and have a sit. I put my buddy in a good spot, and I hiked up to another trail to sit. It was only about 1PM so I layed back in the sun and snoozed until 3 or 3:30. My friend had to leave early, so he took off about that time. Talked to him later on and he hadn't seen anything, but that's not surprising given the time he was sitting.

I finally got myself woken up, got my stuff together and moved out of the sun into the shade for a better position. I was kind of over it, was bummed a bit about the morning crowd, but I HAD found this hot trail...?
I was really just going over in my head where I was going to set up a little place to put my stool when I came back Monday, when I decided that since I was there, and I know that quitting wasn't going to get me anywhere, that I should make the best of it and wait 'til dark.

This was my view as I was perched on a stump in front of a tree:

Then Bam, just like they do, this forky showed up on the trail about 100yds out. I got to watch for a solid 10 minutes as he fed along from my right real slow munching away. Walk a little...eat something...look around...perk up at this noise and that noise...eat a little more...take a coupl steps. Great to watch!

He finally passed behind that green bush, I brought the gun up, and when he walked out, I let the flint fall and made some smoke.
He was standing between those two clumps of green just uphill of that further stump. He turned quarter too a bit, but I was close and felt good so I took the shot. The .58 ball put him down and he was completely done in less than 5 seconds.

I don't know why, but was more rattled after this deer than any other. It took me 10 minutes to get myself under control enough to fill out my tag!!!!
It reminded me of why I do this. That feeling of excitement, combined with getting to watch for such a long time as he did what deer do when nobody is watching really gives me a ton of joy. I guess that's the real trophy - the memory. I know I get kinda sappy, but I guess that's just me. I truly love being out there.

I got him hung up and taken apart last night. Given that it's lobster season also, My wife and son and I had the opportunity to have Venison and Lobster with potatoes for lunch. It doesn't get any better than that!!

I'm a tried and true meat hunter, but I swear, one of these years I'm gonna wait! I have a late Muzzleloading tag, so maybe I'll hold out then....Ha!

Hey brother no shame. It's about enjoying the moments and not about the kills. Sure that's the excuse we give to get out there but personally I've yet to have a bad day in the woods and I've certainly been skunked plenty of times. Good story. Nice to see that all is not lost in the state of California.

Latest posts

Back