• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

San Antonio Area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry2357

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well originally looking at a SC move, but all of a sudden wife wants to be closer to our son, me, was looking forward to SC. Anyway, I conceded and we will be going much souther (if that’s a word) than SC.
So, wife and I are planning a move down just north of San Antonio and was wondering, any muzzleloading clubs down that way. I see one just west of San Antonio but, it seems that it mostly books to the 4h club and they dominant the ranges?? Not sure, but figured I would shoot this question to a some Texas members. Coming from upstate NY and I belong to a great ML club I will shirley miss.

Thanks, joe

I'm getting the feeling this thread is not being posted on the "What's New" post for everyone to see. That could very well be the reason for the slow or no response. Them other Texans haven't found this thread yet.

So far, and I’m glad, all positive things heard about the San Marcos area and all of Texas. For the life of me never expected to end up down there.
Worst case scenario if there’s not a lot of folks who ML in the area, Ill find a range and smoke it up.

Where you going to be livin. The White Smoke Brigade is the only "group" I have heard of lately that have monthly shoots. I think there in New Braunfels area. Have not been there....yet... I know there are a couple of Rendevous groups that have doins a couple times a year in various places. As for dedicated range / clubs for black powder??? Not familiar with any other than before mentioned White Smoke Brigade.

Where you going to be livin. The White Smoke Brigade is the only "group" I have heard of lately that have monthly shoots. I think there in New Braunfels area. Have not been there....yet... I know there are a couple of Rendevous groups that have doins a couple times a year in various places. As for dedicated range / clubs for black powder??? Not familiar with any other than before mentioned White Smoke Brigade.
Son lives in Austin and we’re looking south a bit around San Marcos area.

You can't go wrong in that area.
I like New Braunfels myself. Lots of live music around. Vacationers love Gruene.
San Marcos has the college, so a lot of the places that college kids support.
There used to be open spaces between those towns and SA and Austin. Now, it's kind of continuous civilization, unless you get off the highway and back into the hills.
Research the area, decide what lifestyle you want, and you can probably find an area for it.
There's even Hippie Hollow, but that's outside Austin. :ghostly:
Wherever you choose, welcome to Texas!
We've been expecting you!

Odd thing about that Austin area, one of the few Cabela's stores in Texas is located up near there. In Buda,just south of Austin.I haven't been there in several years but I was truly surprised as to the amount (alot) of "Outdoor Affecionados" and "Gun nuts" there.

Son lives in Austin and we’re looking south a bit around San Marcos area.

San Marcos is a nice area. IH 35 rides the Balcones Fault, one of the few areas where the difference in the lands "elevation" can be sometimes be seen from the highway. Look to the West and you see rolling hills, look to the east and you see flatter lands., It is quite a unique geographical region due to the fault line. Spent a lot of time there in my youth while enrolled at South West Texas State University and still have a few friends who live in the Wimberley area.

We’re hopeful this move will happen sooner than later. Wife is going down end of Feb and her and daughter in-law will search out an apt for us for a year and we’ll go from there. As for now I just keep researching and why I come to the very helpful Texans here. Thanks

I’ve lived in New Braunfels 35 years and am a avid flintlock fan, CW , cowboy sass and hunter. When I go to the range on the weekends at Cedar ridge with my smoothbore flint trade gun along with 75 others I’m the only person making smoke. Mostly a black rifle area. There are a few scattered old timers like me but very few and getting fewer. Most of the younger black rifle guys don’t have any idea what I’m shooting.
That being said it’s a great place to live and do your thing. Very friendly folks n Texas.

Latest posts

Back