Samson historic

Discussion in 'Vendors and Manufacturers' started by tenngun, May 21, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 21, 2019 #1

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Just heard about this company. IT LOOKS like they have good products at a good price. I’m quick to recommend companies I’ve done business with that have given good service. And you get what you pay for. I like Townsends and Crazy Crow, I don’t compare the two.
    Any one have experience with this company?

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  2. May 21, 2019 #2

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 Cal

I just stumbled accross this company two days ago, never heard of it before. Was lookin for FnI waistcoat, and came across them. The waistcoats are $72, which is the cheapest that I've seen them on the Internet atleast. Townsends waistcoats are $170, way more expensive. But can't say for quality for either of them, cause I've never had them. Samson Historical's products reviews were mostly all good from what I see. Before Samson, smoke and fire had some of the best prices I've seen, like example their waistcoats are $110, not a bad price. I do soon want to get one of Samsons waistcoats, then I will know somewhat about customer service, product quality, shipping etc..... when I have the weskit, I'll tell your it's quality.
    One question though, what state are they in?

NW Territory Woodsman

Shot deer likes this.
  3. May 21, 2019 #3

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 Cal

4. May 21, 2019 #4

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I found them on Etsy about a month or so ago. Haven't ordered anything, yet. Will probably order a pair of their brown cotton breeches when/if funds allow.

5. Jun 2, 2019 #5

Boatncamp

Boatncamp

Boatncamp

32 Cal.

I have purchased from them several times and their customer service is excellent. I have not had any issues with their products to date. One of my most recent purchases was a long F&I period waistcoat. It is green wool broadcloth with working pockets. Sizes are straight on. CW FIW1.jpg
    Another vendor for the budget minded is Fort Laramie Frontier Trading Post. They can be found on ebay as flftp.
    Samson's are good people. For accessories also check out Smiling Fox Forge.

Woody

6. Jun 2, 2019 #6

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thank you for this very helpful, and encouraging, reply. I guess I know where my next pair of breeches will come from.

7. Jun 2, 2019 #7

Boatncamp

Boatncamp

Boatncamp

32 Cal.

The long coat and breeches I am wearing are from flftp.

Woody

8. Jun 3, 2019 #8

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Their prices look pretty good. For example their garters are listed at $9 and I couldn't find a pair at Fort Fred in April for under $12. $95 for wool breeches is pretty standard. Their cooking equipment looks pretty well priced too, and I hope they have some good suppliers as several of the items that I'd be interested in throughout their online offerings are currently "sold out". :(

LD

9. Jun 3, 2019 #9

Tallswife

Tallswife

Tallswife

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

hubby and I have made several orders with Samson and we have loved everything we purchased. One issue we had was with shoes, hubby picked the wrong size, and they did an exchange no questions asked (no buckles poked thru). They have a great magazine they are publishing also, very informative, great pics, we really like it. I would do business with Samson any time!

Nyckname and Brokennock like this.
  10. Jul 6, 2019 #10

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 Cal

I just got Samsons brown breeches, and the description says they are light weight, NO, these are made of a really nice heavy material. They're prices are the best I've ever seen. Now I'm gonna get their FnI waistcoat to cover the pumkin butt, rotf !!!

Brokennock and Shot deer like this.
  11. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:17 AM #11

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

40 Cal.

BUYER BEWARE

Samson's clothing and accoutrements are mostly imports from Pakistan and China . They are also know to have stolen designs from more than a dozen other merchants by photographing and sending items overseas to be copied . From companies like Townsends to a mom and pop blacksmith shop, the children running this company have no qualms about taking money out of other people's pockets.

12. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:22 AM #12

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Can you support these claims?

13. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:23 AM #13

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

40 Cal.

Absolutely. I would be happy to send a list of vendors they've ripped off.

14. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:28 AM #14

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

A list of vendors is just a list of vendors, what do you have for proof that Samson Historic ripped them off.
    Not trying to pick a fight with you, but you make a serious claim, and, if true, could influence the decision to buy from them. Thus, taking money from their pocket. How do we know you aren't a jealous competitor trying to smear them and reduce their sales?

15. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:32 AM #15

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

40 Cal.

Well, as a friend of the Townsend family and Smoke and Fire, we were generally beyond belief when we received emails from the company in Pakistan making the Samson clothes, asking us if we'd like to buy clothes from them. When we asked where they got our info from, they said the labels in the back of the clothes they were sent from the Samsons. When laid on top of a Townsend weskit, the Samsons weskit seams line up perfectly with the Townsends. Same with Smoke and Fire's breeches. As well as stealing designs from Flying Heart Millinery, Romantically Bent, Sheldon Pewter, J&A Handmade, and MacGregor Games. This has been an ongoing battle with the Samsons which ultimately led to their removal from the BAR/NWTA.

16. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:35 AM #16

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

40 Cal.

Make your own decision, however, when choosing to support this business, you are hurting businesses that have been active for generations. It is truly sad to see. It's not hard to do your own research and help others in this hobby. However, with an attitude of "wanting to bring Townsends to their knees", I don't see how that is positive for living history.

Brokennock likes this.
  17. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:39 AM #17

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Interesting. Has any documentation been made that would stand up in court?
    While I don't agree with the practice, it is unfortunately the way of the world today. Very sad. But, understandable. Some of us just can't afford the prices from most of the people you mentioned. They will ultimately buy somewhere. Do the Samson clothes have a made in China or Pakistan, or wherever, tag?

Why doesn't Townsend corner the market by offering both? Offer the same products offered now at the same prices, emphasizing that they are made in the USA, and offer the foreign made product at the lower price, emphasizing that it is foreign made, and no warrantie is offered on the cheap import goods.

18. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:46 AM #18

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

KLWeaver

40 Cal.

Yes, this is a court case being put together as we speak.

Yes they have the Made in Wherever tags, but I was also told about two weeks ago that they are cutting labels out and replacing them with their own label that does not have a country of origin (illegal).

Townsends took an interesting approach to the whole thing. If you notice, their last two catalogs have featured little American flags on every item they have that is made in America. I know Townsends is out of most peoples price range (mine included) but there are still so many talented seamtresses and tailors out there that would be happy to make a one of a kind item for you. It breaks my heart because when I learned to love this hobby, it was history and friendship that made me want to turn this into my lifestyle and ultimately my career.

Brokennock likes this.
  19. Aug 20, 2019 at 3:54 AM #19

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Please keep us updated on the court case. The illegality of removing the tag is why I brought it up.
    Do you have anybody stateside that can put together a pair of breeches or a weskit/waistcoat for close to the same price as Samson?

20. Aug 20, 2019 at 2:52 PM #20

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 Cal

The knee breeches I got from Samson Historic are terrific for the price. At $72 for a heavey weight (they say leightweight) but a very nice heaveyweight breeches that are well made, I cant pass up. I recremend these breeches.

Now I do have quite a few products from Townsends and must say Townsends has some of the best costomer service ive seen around. Their products are also of very good quality too.

Know that I discovered Samson Historic, knowing they have really good prices($72 for a samson waistcoat and $100+$$$ for a townsends waistcoat) Am I gonna pay a lower price for a quality product from HS, Hell yes!

Samsons products seem to be of good quality and I'll keep shopping from them. If I had the breeches or waistcoat from townsends, I wouldnt feel right getting them torn up in the woods with what price that they are. So samsons green FnI waistcoat is on my radar next.

I shop what fits my needs in the woods. I dont shop by who's screwin who. Not my problem, not my buisiness.

Just my thought

NWT Woodsman