• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salvaged Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Some time ago a neighbor gave me an old cow's horn. It was so eaten full of holes by bugs that he was going to throw it away. I've been filling the holes with J B Weld and some cheapo epoxy that I bought at Harbor Freight.
Little by little it's getting patched. The darker parts of the horn in the pictures were holes all the way through.And I'm going to make me another powder horn. Not that a person really needs more than one.Do any of you think it's worth the effort? It does have "character".
20201016_110322.jpg

I can give it a try, if it don't work out I'll just be out a few bucks for the J B Weld. And like I said it's a "no-heavy-lifting-light -duty" pastime. And I'd like to add making things is a fun part of this hobby, to me anyway.

I can give it a try, if it don't work out I'll just be out a few bucks for the J B Weld. And like I said it's a "no-heavy-lifting-light -duty" pastime. And I'd like to add making things is a fun part of this hobby, to me anyway.
Right on! I love to make stuff too; my first powder horn came from an old cow skull left on a fence post and retrieved by a friend on a garbage truck, LOL!

Plus I forgot to add that the smell of J B Weld annoys my wife. It's kind of payback time for when Carol uses that stinky Clorox around the house, which she knows I don't like.

I had one in about that shape, I put a couple of thin coats of clear varnish over the top and it shined it all up. It seemed to help with the flaking and cracking as well. Besides, there nothing like polishing your horn when you have nothing else to do.

Personally I wouldn't. A new horn is too cheap and your time left on Earth is too valuable. Patches and fill-ins will age differently from the original horn and you don't know what it will look like in a few (or many) years.

Your dog might enjoy it more than you will after all your efforts.

I had one in about that shape, I put a couple of thin coats of clear varnish over the top and it shined it all up. It seemed to help with the flaking and cracking as well. Besides, there nothing like polishing your horn when you have nothing else to do.
Polishing my ??!! OH my virgin ears, LOL!

As a something to do project, why not? Can't say as though JB Weld would be my choice though. I would stick with epoxy fill. You can mix epoxy with saw dust or other powders intended for this purpose. Spread in on, deep holes may take a couple coats. Then finish from there.

I prefer working wirh J B Weld instead of that stuff from Harbor Freight. Carpet beetles or some sort of insect seems to be a problem with horns. What did they do in the old days? Throw the horn away and go knock a cow in the head to get another?

In the old days it was "waste not want not." Get out the handy cake of bees wax , and warm it up 'til it's soft. Fill the divots by rubbing them full of the wax. Put the waxed horn in the fridge for 30 min's to cool the wax. Buff the horn w/ coarse cloth like burlap until polished a bit. That's how powder horns were repaired by Indians and frontiers folk alike. Were no stores , traders ,etc that carried JBWeld out on the frontier. Besides , it's fun to make up a frontier cock and bull story about it's origin . Very few powder horns looked like the glittering beauties folks create today........oldwood

I've had two horns damaged by the beetles. It happened while they were in long term storage in the garage and I didn't check them. I suspect if they are in the house or used regularly the beetles would be less of a problem. They other answer is to store them in a cedar chest or cedar closest. I've also found buying cider chips intended for pet cages work to just hang or throw a bag in the closet for longer term storage also helps.

Now, back to the repair of horns. I'm anxious to see how it works out.

Back