• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salted Pork Biltong New Batch.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
24 hours in salt, lost 1lb of water.
seasoned then put into Drying Box for 72 hours. 35% water evaporation.
(Same seasoning as before)

Attachments

• IMG_5005_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    IMG_5005_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5006_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    IMG_5006_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5007_PorkBiltong-800.jpg
    IMG_5007_PorkBiltong-800.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5008_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    IMG_5008_PorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5080_SaltedPorkBiltong-800.jpg
    IMG_5080_SaltedPorkBiltong-800.jpg
    978.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5083_SaltedPorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    IMG_5083_SaltedPorkBiltong-1000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Of course, I eat salted pork and bacon. I also eat salt beef and dried salt beef as in chipped beef. I do not like salt cod as my mother never made it edible and she was from Eastport ME.

I do not eat pork jerky nor do I eat bear jerky Way to get poisoned IMHO

The biltong I had in SA wasnt very salty at all...seasoned, but not salty. I think pork jerky would be fine, as it is cooked...Biltong though, is not I(onlty dried). I dont think they make biltong out of it in SA either...lots of sausage, etc. though.

Biltong/Jerky Ive never had salty, not in their long enough. I would soak in Soy Sauce with spices for 24 hours and finally salt spice mix and no problem with salt excess.

Technically Medically they say it has potential.
I think getting the meat from a good source is the best advantage of avoiding such things.

Abstract​

Curing processes are one method by which pork products, which are considered ready to eat (RTE) and have not been otherwise tested or treated, can be rendered safe from risk for exposure to Trichinella muscle larvae (ML). Curing processes in the U.S. currently require individual validation of methods to demonstrate inactivation of Trichinella. This is a major undertaking for each process; currently no model of meat chemistry exists that can be correlated with inactivation of Trichinella. Given the potential for new RTE products (e.g., lower salt), the availability of a wider range of tested methods for inactivation of Trichinella in pork would be of substantial value to the industry. In this study, five variables were tested – salt/brine concentration, water activity (aw), pH, temperature, and time, using low and high endpoints for common curing treatments for dry cured pork sausage. The data demonstrated that NaCl concentrations above 1.3%, in combination with fermentation to pH 5.2 or below, resulted in inactivation of > 96% of Trichinella ML in stuffed sausages within 24–28 h. All ML were inactivated by 7–10 days post-stuffing. These curing processes reliably predict inactivation of Trichinella spiralis, and can be used within the defined upper and lower endpoint parameters to reduce or eliminate the need for individual product validation.

Last edited:
I think getting the meat for a good source is the best advantage of avoiding such things.
I assume you meant to say "from a good source." If so, I agree. Pork producers I've talked to relate that "garbage fed" (containing meat scraps) hogs were the biggest cause for concern and the industry has all but eliminated such practice. So, pork from the retail counter is likely free from Trichinella. On the other hand, I don't know any producers who would eat uncooked pork.

I'll admit your product looks mighty darned good, and I tip my hat to you for putting such serious effort into it.
My concern as well would have been Trichinella, which has mostly been eliminated from domestic pork.
I would not try this with pork from one of the bazillion wild hogs we have in this section, as the list of pathogens goes on and on and on ...

Back