• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salt horse anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just put up some salt pork for events this spring.
Salt, meat,salt meat, salt brine as strong as needed to float egg.
Salt beef often called salt horse was common. I’ve tried and failed this several times
Has anyone tried this what’s your recipe?

Called Corned beef here in NE. Done in grey not red, red s the Yorkers style like their clam chowder.

My late sister and husband made a couple barrels of it every creature butcher. I was young then and didn't pay much attention but do remember them injecting brine into the pieces. They stacked them on salt layered the meat then salt till the 20-30 plastic barrel was full. Brine would then be poured till full. A wood piece then placed on top with a couple river stone for weight. Then sealed with the barrels top and ring.

They always butchered in the fall so the meat would not sour and go rancid.

I forget how long it would sit before using but the meat had to be soaked and the water changed 2-3 times before making a meal with it or it would not be fit to eat do to the salt.

I have made salt pork but never tried a beef creature myself. Wish you good luck in your endeavors.

I just put up some salt pork for events this spring.
Salt, meat,salt meat, salt brine as strong as needed to float egg.
Salt beef often called salt horse was common. I’ve tried and failed this several times
Has anyone tried this what’s your recipe?

What is meant when you write you "failed"?
Did it rot, or did it get moldy? Both?
This is pretty much the method that I've used. --Brining and Salting Beef and Pork

LD

Latest posts

Back