• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Salt Cured Ham

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removed and placed in my Biltong box to further dry.
15% reduction in weight so far.

IMG_4010_CuredPork-1000.jpg

IMG_4007_CuredPork15percentReduction-1000.jpg

IMG_4005_CuredPork-1000.jpg

Get ready for some "red-eye" gravy. Can't tell if the skin's still on or not. Always did ours with the skin on, hang 'em from rafters and enjoy months later. Smoked makes them even better. Check out "Burgers' Smokehouse" website to see what an authentic country cured ham sells for. They've been doing this, selling world wide for many, many years. Curing hams is part skill, part art, part luck. Go for it !

When you test a cured ham, always take a plug from deep inside. Sometimes the outside's good but the middle is rotten. The "ham breakfast" at Missouri's state fair and county fairs is an old tradition. Champion hams can bring well over $1,000 - nearly all bought by politicians and farm-oriented organizations.
I use to help in the hog killings and one of my jobs was to rub salt into the fresh hams! Some smoked them aftered the hams would not take any more salt some didn't? I liked them both ways. It was the Redeye gravy on grit, rice or just sopped up with a home made biscuit that I dearly liked and still do to this day.

Back