• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salt Cooked Shrimp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I expect you could do this over a wood fire but I haven't, so for a gas range or gas grille:

Pour about an inch of rock salt/ice cream salt or similar big grained salt into a 12 inch cast iron fry pan. Put it over a burner on high and ignore it for 15 minutes while the salt bed heats up. You want as much large green headless shrimp as you can stand to deal with. 21/25 Count or 16/20 seem to work best.
Lay the shrimp on the hot salt and cook til the down side is done. Shells pale and spotted is a good sign. Then turn and cook on the reverse side. Which will not take long.
Peel and eat. The flavor of the rock salt does not get through the shell into the shrimp meat. Season or sauce to your own taste or just revel in the natural flavor.
This method produces very succulent, luscious shrimp. Certainly more so than poaching or grilling. God knows why, and He is not telling. Learned this from a Spaniard and he didn't know why it works either.

Back