• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salt and Pepper Moose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atr

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Taken in Northern Saskatchewan

Moose3.jpg

Hey Superflint , this talk of moose along with ketchup and mustard reminds me of a story . We shoot a lot of moose so moosemeat is on the menu from october till about july every year . Anyway when i was a kid , about 40 years ago i went out moose hunting with my dad and a few of his buddies . One of the fellows was a cree indian . My dad and i were down by a swamp calling when this huge bull charged out into the clearing . Dad fired 3 shots and down went the bull . As soon as you pull the trigger on a moose the fun is over and the work starts and this was no different as all the men arrived within about 1/2 hour to start packin' moose out . No one kept records back in those days but the rack measured 72 inches tip to tip and a good guesstimate would be 1,700 pounds . The cree fellow noted that this old bull had seen it's better days with some of it's horn tips broken off , one eye missing , scars on it's side and mostly grey hair . He told dad that there was only one way to cook a tough old bull like that . First you build a roaring bonfire and then you hack a slab of moosemeat off with your axe . Next throw the moosemeat and the axe in the fire . When you can stick your fork in the axehead , the moose is done . :p

Speaking of Moose reminds me of a guy back in the mid '60s who had an album out. It consisted of poems he would recite.

These were all done to a drum rhythem count of one,two, one,two... or a boop cha, boop cha.... if you know what I mean.

He introduced this poem by explaining how the Government was interested in our wildlifes health and was working towards getting it to excercise by hireing a special group of people.
It goes like this:

THEM MOOSE GOOSERS

How about them Moose goosers
Aint they recluse?
Up in the boon docks
Goosing them Moose!

Goosing them big Moose,
goosing them tiny
goosing them middeley Moose
in they hinie!

How about them Moose goosers
Ain't they dumb?