• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Salmon Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any of y’all ever worked with tanned Salmon skin leather before?
I made a trade with a nice fella on the ALR forum that wanted some of my river cane sections. Of course it came to the house and I’m at the camp, but my Wife sent a couple of photos. He tanned the skins last year, they’re supposed to be very durable. Thought it might make some nice pouches to keep lubed patches in.

Attachments

• 195D4373-6D44-4217-91CC-6E6220B218D0.jpeg
    195D4373-6D44-4217-91CC-6E6220B218D0.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1B8ED9B7-77D5-4545-8C95-15513C4871A3.jpeg
    1B8ED9B7-77D5-4545-8C95-15513C4871A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I've heard of it but have never seen any. Not much help. How long are those pieces? From the small scales it looks like Pink Salmon. There's a micro distillery in Haines, AK that was making salmon flavored whiskey. The only fellow I know that tried it said it took him a week to get the taste out of his system.

I've heard of it but have never seen any. Not much help. How long are those pieces? From the small scales it looks like Pink Salmon. There's a micro distillery in Haines, AK that was making salmon flavored whiskey. The only fellow I know that tried it said it took him a week to get the taste out of his system.
My Wife estimated the size as 18” x 4”, could be more or less. But plenty for some small pouches. Salmon flavored whiskey, can you imagine the hangover from overdosing on that!

Somewhere, a long time ago, I heard of salmon skins being used to make rain jackets by native persons in Alaska. Now I'm going to have to track that down. The idea of walking around in bear country smelling like a giant salmon just doesn't make sense. Maybe that was the original "Door Dash"?

Somewhere, a long time ago, I heard of salmon skins being used to make rain jackets by native persons in Alaska. Now I'm going to have to track that down. The idea of walking around in bear country smelling like a giant salmon just doesn't make sense. Maybe that was the original "Door Dash"?
Wonder if that would be considered “baiting” if you were on a Kodiak hunt?

Wonder if that would be considered “baiting” if you were on a Kodiak hunt?
Back when I bear greased my hunting boots, I had a bear track me most of the day. Realized it when I was walking out. Always wondered if he was hungry or the other "H" word. Quit using bear grease on boots, just in case.

Internet search turns up lots of clothing made from salmon skins.

Back when I bear greased my hunting boots, I had a bear track me most of the day. Realized it when I was walking out. Always wondered if he was hungry or the other "H" word. Quit using bear grease on boots, just in case.

Internet search turns up lots of clothing made from salmon skins.
I’m really glad I don’t have to deal with bears around here. Haven’t done a search yet, I’ll do that.

at one time i had a Salmon skin wallet and matching holster for a 1911. the holster was skinned (pun intended) with the salmon hide.
my Sister lived in Palmer for 30 years and made them for me from a King salmon i caught when i was playing hooky from work.
i have a pacific black timber rattler hide i have been meaning to turn into a knife sheath or decorate a rifle sleeve.
surprising how durable those hides are when tanned.

at one time i had a Salmon skin wallet and matching holster for a 1911. the holster was skinned (pun intended) with the salmon hide.
my Sister lived in Palmer for 30 years and made them for me from a King salmon i caught when i was playing hooky from work.
i have a pacific black timber rattler hide i have been meaning to turn into a knife sheath or decorate a rifle sleeve.
surprising how durable those hides are when tanned.
That’s what my trading partner was telling me about the durability. I’m anxious to try it out.

Heavens, salmon flavored whisky. I bought a Bloody Mary in the airport in Indy, they put a Shrimp in it, worst tasting BM I've ever had Almost caused me to stop drinking BM

Latest posts

Back