• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sale find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kibler lock with matching triggers would be my choice. Cost is a little more but good machined parts. Keep the barrel around 40 inches, like a smr.

Got ahold of two of my old high school teachers and one of them is really interested in this project. I believe I am going to buy all of the parts needed for a SMR from since it will basically be one stop shop for all the parts I need. Not going to be in a big rush on this project but will keep you all posted. I have plans to spend a day next week going through this sale again before everything is listed.

Definitely sell those CVA locks.
For the cost of an assembler you could buy a Kibler kit, easily build that yourself, and learn enough in the process that you might wanna tackle those odd parts yourself. (Turnaround right now is short per the email I got from them last week)
I wouldn’t start with an L and R lock, they need a lot of “advanced tweaking” when for a few dollars more you can get a Chambers, RE Davis or Kibler, all of which are as close to drop-in as we can expect these days.

AMEN to L&R locks needing tweaking... the Queen Ann LH I bought was a NIGHTMARE!!!
I would look at ANYTHING before buying another L&R.

I don't know how "HC/PC" the CVA percussion lock is, but they served me well for years and years. Killed all manner of game with it, punched lots of holes in paper. The CVA flintlock is another story.

I have a .45 barrel on a rifle with no markings except for the caliber. It's a very fine barrel with a flat breech and very accurate. You have all you need to build a very good rifle even if you also get a Kibler kit. Two guns is better than one. Be nice to have a backup; I say go for it!

Bassdog1, we are in the same boat.
I found a stock and barrel a short time ago in a barn. i am going to build it out myself. still cleaning up my shop space to get started on it.
never knew it would take so long to clean up 30 years of clutter just to see the bench top!
I am one of those guys that has all needed tools right at hand. just finding them under the mess is a all day chore.

With a quality piece of wood like that , and a barrel of some length ,why wouldn't you make the barrel a more traditional length of a minimum of 38" to at least 40+ . Original records define 38" to 46" are the most long rifle barrel lengths found on the frontier...........oldwood

OK so I measured these myself the other measurements came from the sale consignor. The barrel is 41 and 3/4 inches to the tang The barrel channel on the stock is 44 inches long if everything else works out OK I will have the barrel cut to 40 inches I have an excellent gunsmith that lives 2 miles away who will cut and crown the barrel for me.

OK so I measured these myself the other measurements came from the sale consignor. The barrel is 41 and 3/4 inches to the tang The barrel channel on the stock is 44 inches long if everything else works out OK I will have the barrel cut to 40 inches I have an excellent gunsmith that lives 2 miles away who will cut and crown the barrel for me.
Sounds like you gots a winner there.:thumb:

I'm glad you are leaving some length in the barrel. As @oldwood said, longrifles were exactly that... Long rifles! Southern rifles were especially known for great length.

Best of luck to you!

Notchy Bob

Well I met with one of my High School teachers this afternoon and delivered the stock and barrel to him. He looked at the stock and told me that the last stock he bought cost over 100 dollars extra for the amount of curl and striping in the stock. He wants to keep the barrel full length and agrees that the Kibler lock and trigger are the best bets. He was very excited to get the opportunity to build the gun and asked if I would allow him to add a little custom carving. I will post pics as this build starts and progresses but it wont be fast as he still works a lot and said he wants to make this a really nice rifle.

Visited with the builder recently he has purchased the lock and other parts for the build. He hopes to have everything done by early spring and is also making a powder horn for it. Got to look at several horns that he ha made and his scrimshaw abilities are amazing. Hope to have this rifle in my hands by spring but not going to rush it.

That looks like a CVA kit. If from Spain and not a completed rifle, it did
not require barrel stamps only a nation of origin sticker which gets pulled off.
Good advice on the forum, ditch the cheap lock and get a real one. The barrel,
if Spanish, will be good. Starting at $75 you cannot go wrong upgrading it.

Back