• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sage grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are in north park Colorado, and the ones I ate weren’t good. The legs and back are OK but the breast are poor at best. I’m told these are the second largest grouse in the world. The old fellow that showed me this lek says the numbers are less then when he started studying them. Used to be over one hundred males.
1D3C3A73-5887-4E04-9623-55E22084D888 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Cool looking bird, wish we had some of them around here, all we have are these stupid turkeys. How do sage grouse taste? Like sage?
Been hunting and eating sage grouse most of my 71 years. Do NOT shoot the adult birds!! Taste so strong you can hardly get them down and it's like chewing the soul of your boot. Now the young ones on the other hand are delicious. They will run ahead of you in the heavy sage... but once you locate them, just pick up your pace and then rush them when you get within 10 yards or so. They will then flush and fly. Wing shooting at its best. As they fly away keep them in your vision and watch where they land.They will lock their wings and glide the last 50+ yards. Go after them as quick as you can. They will probably be within 25-50 yards of where they landed, which will most likely be In heavy sagebrush. Then have a very dark meat,especialy the adults but the young ones are a little lighter and very good eating.

Back