• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SAFETY WARNING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment I have a safety issue at the range recently with my Flintlock pan charger it was placed approximately 16 in away from the rifle and about 6 in behind the lock I shot many times during the day with it in that position but apparently it was pointed in a different direction a spark from the pan ignited the pan the pan charger which internet exploded luckily no one was injured but this is a warning to other flip flop Shooters to make sure that the pan charger is far away from the flash of the pan enclosed are pictures of what happened as you can see the threads were completely ripped off of the back end of the pan charger

Attachments

• 20220606_111316.jpg
    20220606_111316.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220606_111403.jpg
    20220606_111403.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Put the pan charger or capper in your back pocket. Make it a habit. I never shoot of the same bench as I load. Get two benches and scoot them together. Load off the left bench, shoot of the right. I also put a brass vent deflector on my rifles. That directs the fire squirt up in to the air instead of horizontal.

Pretty much what Scota said. Put it in a pocket or pouch. Any powder containers left on the shooting bench will eventually create a problem.

I carry a nice powderhorn to the range when shooting. I use it just for the "history" of it to fill the actual powder measure I use when loading the gun BUT, for safety reasons I always place the powder horn back inside my range bag after I use it BEFORE I go back to my gun and load the charge to shoot. I started this routine after seeing a youtube video of a powderhorn exploding and the damage it caused! I place my pan charger back in my range bag after charging the pan for the same reason but, I used to wear it around my neck!

I always load from a separate bench behind the shooting line and leave everything there except for the pan charger I have never had an issue with this before but believe me I will never leave the pan charger on the bench while I'm shooting again I cannot believe that the powder flash went that far and apparently entered directly into the spout of the charger like I said it will never happen again scared the hell out of me

Back