• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SAFETY WARNING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Much to my embarrassment I had a safety issue at the rage recently then she was like brass Flintlock pan charger was left on the bench beside me while shooting from the bench with my flintlock rifle it was to my right and behind the lock probably 6 in I had shot many times that day and on my last shot a spark had bounced apparently off the table into the inlet of the pan charged and created a small explosion luckily no one was injured and close up pictures of what was left

Attachments

• 20220606_111316.jpg
    20220606_111316.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220606_111403.jpg
    20220606_111403.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
Much to my embarrassment I had a safety issue at the rage recently then she was like brass Flintlock pan charger was left on the bench beside me while shooting from the bench with my flintlock rifle it was to my right and behind the lock probably 6 in I had shot many times that day and on my last shot a spark had bounced apparently off the table into the inlet of the pan charged and created a small explosion luckily no one was injured and close up pictures of what was left
Yes, one spark is all it takes! Good, no injuries, but a great lesson to all. Thanks for posting.

My pan charger is landyarded to my belt bag. It comes out, sprinkles, goes back in the pouch.
Big hunk of leather between it and flame.

Like Du Pont says on the can EXPLOSIVE. Two kinds of power Blasting powder and Gun powder. Same stuff different granulation but both l EXPLOSIVE

Thanks for the safety reminder!! Glad no injuries. My primer stays put away.
Larry

As a side note to the topic , smokers should not carry those plastic butane in their shirt pocket while shooting anything that sparks ,As a welder of 30 years I've seen safety videos of lighters exploding why take chances .Any explosive material should be kept away from your shooting area ... just an opinion

I've always been very cognizant of where chargers & cans of BP are located in relation to my firing a rifle. So if you think it can't happen here then it surely can happen there.

Back