• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety on Pietta 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, now the next safety question. If your carrying a spare or spares(2) loaded cylinder(s)in a cylinder pouch do you carry them precapped? Or do you wait until you place them on the cylinder pin? And if you wait where do you carry the cap tins?
This is a question that my civil war unit has debated.
But of course we are firing blanks at this time. The blanks are powder and compressed oatmeal, or cream of wheat. So not quite as lethal as a lead load, but still can do damage.

Carry uncapped cylinders, caps in a Ted Cash capper on a lanyard. Cap when cylinder is in the frame.

Sorry Mykeal but a Ted Cash capper or any type of capper is not period correct for the civil war. Items used at reenactments must be PCC (period corect common). And in the Height of a battle you don't have time to get out the capper or tins to cap a cylinder when the opposing force is bearing down on you. Which is why some argue for capped cylinders and others say don't cary a spare at all. But when manning a cannon and your order to defend the piece a revolver is what you use.

He didn't ask for the Civil War period common usage. If he had, I would not have answered, as that's not my expertise. He asked a safety question, which many here seem to feel is a matter of opinion, so I offered mine.

I don't concern myself with 'period correctness' when safety is an issue. I note however, that the guns/cylinders are loaded with blanks, which greatly mitigates the safety concern. I might be convinced to carry spare cylinders capped under those circumstances. I need to think about that some more.

mykeal said:
He didn't ask for the Civil War period common usage. If he had, I would not have answered, as that's not my expertise. He asked a safety question, which many here seem to feel is a matter of opinion, so I offered mine.

I don't concern myself with 'period correctness' when safety is an issue. I note however, that the guns/cylinders are loaded with blanks, which greatly mitigates the safety concern. I might be convinced to carry spare cylinders capped under those circumstances. I need to think about that some more.

Might get a nasty burn. I was at a C.W.reenactment once and a guy was showing off. He tried to fast draw a 58 Remington he had stuck down the front of his pants. Yep, went off in his pants. He got some scars from it but his wife says the worst thing is he wants to show them to everybody. :rotf:

When I was younger and dumb, as opposed to being older and still dumb, I owner a Haws SAA clone in .357 mag that I carried with 6 loaded cylinders. I had it in a holster and had not returned the loop over the hammer to keep it in the holster. The holster slipped in my hand and the revolver fell out and hit the floor on the butt and fell over on it's side. When it hit the floor I was looking straight down the barrel, you can't imagine how big that bore suddenly became. I immediately figured out that you load one, skip one, and load the next four chambers which puts the empty chamber under the hammer. That's one lesson I learned real fast.

You fellars do what you want to!

I know that much money in time and engineering went into adding stop pins on the rear of the cylinder. I also know that gun manufacturers could decide to not bore a chamber, and leave one blank!

6 chambers are for 6 shots, and the stop pins are an added safety bonus!

Thanks and I understand, but I will keep all six loaded and ready!

One could just not put a cap on one of the cylinders, and place something between the nipple and the hammer. A uncapped cylinder will generally not fire!

Poor Private said:
..... and others say don't cary a spare at all.

I have to agree with them, spare cylinders were not issued by the US or CS military, therefore are not, as you say, "pcc" so why would you carry one... or two? Talk about a tangent.... :rotf:

Gents,
I carry 6 and rest the hammer on the pin. But thats only because there is a good pin/notch fit on all 6. Otherwise if it would be 5 resting on an empty. My first 6 shooter was an FIE 51 navy that had no pins that was where I originally got into the 5 shot routine.

James Taylor

Hand guns of any type were not issued to Union(Federal) Infantry officers. They were expected to buy thier own along with thier own uniforms. So I reckon if they also bought spare cylinders it would be PEC (period everday common). Have you ever watched Gettysburg? Did you miss Jeff Danials changing cylinders in his colt? Yea, I know "it's only a movie". But it still gives the everyday maovie viewer that it did happen, and you know what prove it wrong!

Russ T Frizzen said:
No, but if you forget to cap it in the heat of the moment, you'll get a nice chain-fire! :rotf:

B.S. I've fired full cylinders just capping one chamber at a time trying to get a chain fire that way and couldn't do it.

Very few people intentionally try to mess up their gun by creating a chain fire.

One thing I've learned over the years is chain fires are quite uncommon but a loaded chamber without a nipple on it is, in my opinion very likely to fire due to the flash that comes out of the firing chamber at the rear.
This flash often is reflected off of the nipple or recoil shield towards the adjacent chambers nipple.

If rebel727 didn't succeed in getting his gun to chain fire I think he should count his blessings. :)

rebel727 said:
B.S. I've fired full cylinders just capping one chamber at a time trying to get a chain fire that way and couldn't do it.
:shocked2:
Please tell me your pistol was clamped in a vice and you were pulling the trigger with a string.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
Please tell me your pistol was clamped in a vice and you were pulling the trigger with a string.

HD

No, chain fires don't scare me. I started shooting a 58 Remington when I was 12. Didn't know squat about it. Loaded the cylinders up to the point I had to carve the front of the balls off to get it to turn. No wads, no over ball lube. Had chain fires galore(frequently all six at one time). Chain fires quit when I started putting a drop of oil on front of the balls. I was using #11 caps pinch fit on #9 nipples(yes they made #9's back then). Usually one or more per cylinder full would fall off but I never had another chain fire. I kept reading here about chains starting from the nipple end and didn't believe it so I went out and loaded a few cylinders full and fired them only capping one chamber at a time. Couldn't get it to chain.

:rotf: thanks Cooner...."five shots without reloading were all a top-notch gunfighter fired, when his guns were chambered for six cartridges." Don't sound like a cap + ball to me. So what did Wild Bill do? Fred :hatsoff:

Howdy Fred....PM me sometime.

Some folks would rather auger than eat. This thread proves it. :blah:

Watchyerhair,

C

Poor Private said:
Hand guns of any type were not issued to Union(Federal) Infantry officers. They were expected to buy thier own along with thier own uniforms. So I reckon if they also bought spare cylinders it would be PEC (period everday common). Have you ever watched Gettysburg? Did you miss Jeff Danials changing cylinders in his colt? Yea, I know "it's only a movie". But it still gives the everyday maovie viewer that it did happen, and you know what prove it wrong!

Yes, I was standing about 15 feet away from him when he did it. I always wondered where the spare cylinder came from since he didn't have a way to carry it, at least I don't recall him wearing a "holster" (or whatever) for it on his belt. Not something that I would want to carry in my pocket or haversack for that matter. So, I take you do an officer impression then?

Back