• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety inspections

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigj0369

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello YaAll.
I have many years of experience with owning and firing vintage pieces. In the past I resided near a well experienced traditional muzzleloading firearm gunmaker. I have had him inspect vintage pieces for safety prior to firing. Well I no longer have such access. So I am interested to hear from those of you who have experience inspecting original flintlock pieces for safe firing condition. I just acquired a mid to late 1700's Novak built Austrian side-by-side flintlock double in nominal 60 cal. The piece is in overall working order. Both locks work well and throw good spark. The bores are darkish but show no horrid visual issues as I lighted them up with a bore light. So what would ya all look for?

I would clean the bore as best I could, then dismount the barrel to eyeball it any holes someone might have drilled into it, then ensure the breechplug is in likewise good (tight) condition. (also checking for a plugged vent)

I would also extend my inspection to the wood, looking for crack(s).

If all looked good, I would load it with a light charge and do a remote test fire (like securing the gun to a vehicle tire, flat on the ground.)

Even if all went well, I would respect it's age (metal can fatigue over the centuries) and shoot only light loads through it.

YMMV

Thanks. I have fired many old guns including a 16th Century wheellock with no problems. A number of them have been 1700's vintage flinters in 60, 62, and 8 bore. This is my first vintage double gun to inspect.

Pietro you nailed it👍. Ive done the same. Also a bore scope will help too. I went one step further on one small PC .410 ball rifle that I just wasn’t 100% on yet. I mounted it in a wood vise, the old string on the trigger routine with a light blank load and took cover. All was good.

I once obtained a M1863 US Musket that had been mounted on a wall someplace. Upon removing the barrel, there was a hole drilled in the bottom of it, obviously an attempt to "de-wat" the thing. So always check all areas!

Back