• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Safety inspection advice.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goosemaster

32 Cal
Reaction score
Soon to start my adventure into percussion style hunting rifles. New to this forum and there is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Doing research and cruising the forums and would like to ask y’all’s advice. Have y’all found any specific safety inspection or a specific thing to look for other then the obvious googlable procedures that you do when inspecting a used percussion rifles to make sure safety and quality is there? Sorry if this is an oddly broad question.

Soon to start my adventure into percussion style hunting rifles. New to this forum and there is an amazing wealth of knowledge here. Doing research and cruising the forums and would like to ask y’all’s advice. Have y’all found any specific safety inspection or a specific thing to look for other then the obvious googlable procedures that you do when inspecting a used percussion rifles to make sure safety and quality is there? Sorry if this is an oddly broad question.
Safety?
Drop the ramrod down the bore and determine if it is loaded, then drop a light (AAA flashlight, lighted arrow nock etc) down the bore and see what the rifling looks like. pull the hammer back and make sure you get a good click at the half and full cock positions. chaeck and see if the hammer will release on full cock but not on half cock.

Quality? That is a whole different thing to different people.

The inside of the barrel is a big concern, next I would look at the inletting of the parts, sloppy inletting with gaps means there are probably fitting issues like the trigger, lock internals and barrel pins. Sloppy stock shaping would be a concern for me, slab sided forearms, wrists that aren't round, lock panels that are overly wide and poorly shaped. The biggest turn off for me is too bold, poorly laid out, rough cut amateurish stock carvings, these don't affect the guns performance, they just look awful.

Re: safety,
I'd check the ignition path. How does the face of the hammer look?
Is there a nipple in place? How well do the nipple and hammer face come together? Does the nipple fit the powder drum or breech plug properly? Is the powder drum supported by the lock plate?
If it's a used gun, how clean is it...

I’m not opposed to purchasing a new gun actually I’m having a hard time finding any of my choices so far in stock. Any recommendations of a reliable website? I have been interested in Hawken style or Lymann trade rifle. I like the Hawken design.

I’m not opposed to purchasing a new gun actually I’m having a hard time finding any of my choices so far in stock. Any recommendations of a reliable website? I have been interested in Hawken style or Lymann trade rifle. I like the Hawken design.

Muzzle-loaders.com did have Investarms Gemmer Hawken in stock last week. Looks like they’ve sold out now. Keep your eye open and they’ll restock.

Way above my budget for sure. I shot a TC Hawken and loved it. Wasn’t for sale unfortunately . I want a quality workhorse that’ll last the abuse of constant use.

Welcome !

It's not rocket science, these being primitive weapons.

IME, I've never found any unsafe or irresolvable issues when buying a used muzzleloader, as long as none of the usual suspects appeared - like an obviously bent/bulged barrel, cracked or butchered stock or metal parts, broken lockworks or serious rust/pitting.

IMO, if the subject gun meets your druthers for price, eye appeal, design/style, caliber, and weight/handling - most other "issues" are fairly easily resolved.

are you looking at caplocks or flintlocks?
if looking at a flintlock check that the lock seats tight to the barrel. any gap allows powder to get into said gap. this can lead to many unpleasant problems. the least is rust on the internals of the lock from fouling. the worst is unburned powder igniting and damaging the stock.
if looking for a Hawken style keep your eyes open for one of interarms many brands. usually less costly but not cheaper.
Richfield arms sold Interarms hawkens. Cabelas did also. Lyman sold the fine Great Plains Rifle in both rock and cap lock. i have 4-5 investarms rifles and have yet to regret one of them.

if looking at a flintlock check that the lock seats tight to the barrel. any gap allows powder to get into said gap. this can lead to many unpleasant problems. the least is rust on the internals of the lock from fouling. the worst is unburned powder igniting and damaging the stock.
if looking for a Hawken style keep your eyes open for one of interarms many brands. usually less costly but not cheaper.
Richfield arms sold Interarms hawkens. Cabelas did also. Lyman sold the fine Great Plains Rifle in both rock and cap lock. i have 4-5 investarms rifles and have yet to regret one of them.
I decided to start with caplocks.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Muzzle-loaders.com did have Investarms Gemmer Hawken in stock last week. Looks like they’ve sold out now. Keep your eye open and they’ll restock.
I just checked there last night. They have a few ML's but not much. They had more "carbine" types that Hawken or longer length but there were some available. If you're serious about new I'd get there soon as just about everywhere I look "sold out" is the norm.

Ok, your new you say before purchase may I suggest finding a club or group of shooters in your area, local knowledge on the ground is usually the best, plus possibly best source of finding what you want. You mentioned shooting a TC Hawken, where ? who ? Investment in folks is more valuable then items.

TCs are great guns no doubt. Millions sold. But I'd never buy another because of those very tall sights needed to make up for the nearly straight stock. For me the extreme drop in a muzzleloader's stock puts your eye flatly down the to of the barrel.

Latest posts

Back