• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

S. Hawken rifle in my photo gallery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those who have been here a while, these pics may look familiar as I posted them years ago. But for anyone interested in seeing an early S. Hawken rifle up close and personal, feel free to visit my new gallery. I had an opportunity to hold and photograph this rifle twice several years apart. A friend was asked by the owner to make a period correct ramrod for it since the original was lost and it was about to go on display at a local western art gallery. Long story short he called me and asked if I wanted to see a real Hawken rifle...

I will be adding more closeup pictures ( several dozen taken ) as I get the time. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Oh My! I had a religious experience viewing those. The goose bumps are just now going down.
I can not thank you enough.

Please understand that this statement is from a 61 year gun nut that was absolutely thrilled with your pictures. It was educational to see how crude some of the detail work was. The hammer marks on the barrel and the carbon markings.

We hear how bad the Lyman's T/C's and other modern replicas are but My GPR looks a lot like those. That being said I envy your being able to hold that rifle!

Thanks again. Geo. T.

I know what you mean. As I sighted down the barrel and felt the heft and balance of the rifle it seemed as if I had a time machine in my hands. Crafting such a unique rifle with hand tools was and still is an art. There are people today who are able to create the same treasures for a price but to hold Sam's handiwork was priceless.

They must have had good eyes back them with the front site being so small. I picked up an old ML a couple years ago and it has a tiny front site on it too. In fact I see some similarities between it and mine. Mine isn't a Hawkin though and mine is fairly plain. Been told it was basically a hardware store gun. Mine is a 32 though and still has a very thick barrel heavy barrel.

I have never seen an original MLR that had a front sight that I could see. The average life span was mid 40's so that may explain it.

If they toured the country with that rifle they could make a fortune charging to hold her a while!

Geo. T.

Great pics. I have a couple of questions. How tall was the buttplate? I can't tell from your calipers. Do you remember if that nosecap was made in two pieces. I see a faint line where the end may have been soldered on. Might be my imagination.

Thanks. Bill

Back