S.E. Asian Miquelet??

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

curator

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. No one on this forun has anything to say? The W.A.G.is they are Filipino made around the Moro Insurrection time about 1900. Tribesmen copying Spanish miquelet mechanism and modifying to their taste. Both "guns" are from an estate of a man who appeared to collect S.E. Asian weapons, swords and knifes mostly. They are about .45 caliber and appeared to have been well used. Any other guesses?

DutchmanDick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow - and I thought some of the 1960's VC and Khyber Pass guns were crude and fugly :barf: ! These make a gangsta's zip gun look sophisticated :grin: ! Still, shows some ingenuity - if someone wants a gun badly enough, they'll get one, even if they have to make it themselves!

Any idea how a flint would have been held into the cock? Tied/wired on?

curator

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I suspect the flints were tied on with rawhide strips since there is no jaw or screw to clamp them. I suspect both guns were made by the same "craftsman" probably a long way off the beaten track. In Viet Nam I saw similar "improvised" muzzleloaders among the Montegnard tribesmen but those were mostly percussion or matchlock.

Deadeye

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Amazing! Kinda has a Malay, indonesia, Filopina Muslim look to it, if that's possible. Those folks
can forge some amazing stuff. My GUESS would be Malay.
Deadeye