• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RWS vs CCI Magnum Percussion Cap Comparison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like to go to the range with a purpose in mind. Today I went to the range wanting to test the hypothesis, Target accuracy would be different with the only difference being the use of either RWS 1075 caps or CCI Magnum caps. My rifle of choice for this test is a known accurate 35 caliber percussion rifle, Douglas barrel with an old but reliable lock of unknown manufacture, and double set triggers. The load would be 35 grains of 3Fg Old Eynsford. My volumetric measure was to be a valved measure attached to the powder can. My patches would be 0.018" Pocket drill cloth from JoAnn's Fabrics. The patch lube is my long time standard of 1990 vintage NAPA Cutting and Grinding oil, one part to water, seven parts. The patches were to be lubricated before loading. The balls were cast round ball and loaded sprue up. I should have weighed the balls but I didn't. I did weigh the powder charges to see if there were any significant differences induced by my volume measure. The distance was to be 50 yards to open the groups up a bit. I shot off a sturdy bench, a substantial rest and a sandbag. I rested the rifle at the ramrod entry thimble. I selected a highly visible target and used a 6 o'clock hold. I would alternate shots on the target to have similar conditions for each shot. What luck, bright sun, shade on the sights and no wind.

20 shots later, here's the results.

Final CCI Mag 50 yd.jpg

Final RWS 50yd.JPG

Basically, the results were quite similar. I did have the three CCI Magnum shots of the sequence the 6th, 10th and 15th out there on the 8 ring. The one RWS 1075 was the 13th shot. Measured weight of charge were similar of 35.3 grains. The average weight of the charges was 35.2 grains.

Based on this one time test, I would use either cap with confidence and concentrate extra hard on my hold.

Last edited:
I did wipe between shots with a flannel patch dampened with rubbing alcohol. I did not have any issues with fouling getting into the flash channel as I fired the 20 shots. There were some issues with the hammer being loose on the tumbler and a couple of failure to fire being the result. It was interesting to me that I could feel the start of a crud ring when shooting the RWS caps and the CCI Magnum caps would blow the ring away.

More crud ring from RWS because it's a hotter spark. It's why they came out with muzzleloader 209 primers. To cut down on the crud ring.

CCI cap
CCI mag cap = 25% hotter
RWS cap = 50% hotter

The RWS caps are more consistent and reliable than CCI. Also, the hotter spark has a better chance of igniting the main charge when things aren't perfect like a slightly clogged nipple, breech channel or moisture.

I don't think it adds enough to matter. I just like the hotter flame for reliable ignition. Plus, they're so reliable. German made and done well.

Another thing I like is they fit Uncle Mike's nipples perfect. It's almost impossible to get them off the nipple without firing it. No worries about them falling off or moisture getting in. They're powerful enough to split apart when fired. So, they just fall off and don't get stuck in the hammer after being fired.

Most of the caps fell off after firing, but a few did lodge in the cup in the hammer.

The final observation was that the screw holding the hammer on the tumbler was stripped. Now I have another gunsmithing task on my to do list.

I had planned on using standard CCI #11 caps. Those were left at home.

Back