• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rusty Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireMaker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
We were at an event this weekend and I was checking out the cannon that was going to be used. The owner was bragging about how well the piece shot, how it was so rare, etc. I asked if he did any live fire, "oh yeah. Its real accurate at 3 miles".

I asked if the Boy and Self could take a look at the tube. It was caked with rust. Just looking at the last 3-4 inches of the muzzle you could see nothing but rust. It would have been interesting to do a legit inspection. The gun was in the rain, uncovered. I told the Boy that when they start to fire the gun, that he needed to be on our side of camp as I didnt want to be reading about him.

The crew that we typically shoot artillery with treat the cannon just like they treat their long guns. My hail gonne and mortar are spotless. Our RA friends have a spotless gun. The French side also have spotless guns. I see no reason not to spend a little time getting the piece clean. Its not like it hard to do. OK, Ill shut up.

Yer right, Firemaker. My Baratarian crew also finishes each shooting session with the bucket, funnel, and sponge. There's no reason to leave the piece dirty. :nono:

Capt. William

Back