• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rust stopping oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch, maybe it is wasted effort, but I've had good experience with the procedure for 40 years. Any miss fires are related to other things than crud in the patent breech. It may be wasted effort, but it seems to work.

What does this mean Dutch? I am not understanding??
Walk
Very simple. Posts to me are secret as are my responses to those posts.
Address any comments and questions on the main forum pages where all can see and possibly learn from the exchange. As it is Iget as many as thirty responses saying the same thing and the writer has no idea how repetitive he is and my response whether brilliant or stupid, your choice, is handed out one at at time over and over till my eyes glaze over. Anyone you causes a lot of ALERT responses will have had the same experience.
I'm no being uppity or exclusive. I am trying to be just the opposite.Versthensie? Which is German for misspelled word.
Dutch

Very simple. Posts to me are secret as are my responses to those posts.
Address any comments and questions on the main forum pages where all can see and possibly learn from the exchange. As it is Iget as many as thirty responses saying the same thing and the writer has no idea how repetitive he is and my response whether brilliant or stupid, your choice, is handed out one at at time over and over till my eyes glaze over. Anyone you causes a lot of ALERT responses will have had the same experience.
I'm no being uppity or exclusive. I am trying to be just the opposite.Versthensie? Which is German for misspelled word.
Dutch
Ah, got it. Didn’t realize you were getting a lot of repetitive PM’s asking the same questions. Then again how would I? Just appeared that you were shutting down people on the open forum.
Walk

Ah, got it. Didn’t realize you were getting a lot of repetitive PM’s asking the same questions. Then again how would I? Just appeared that you were shutting down people on the open forum.
Walk
I was trying get all that ON the open forum where before it was hidden from them.
A lot of the ALERT posts show up as junk mail on my main computer and I have been answering them there but that will also stop because it's just me and him.
I want everyone to join in the general conversation.
It was beginning to loo like it was my Forum which would really make me unhappy. There are all sorts of good great riflemen who ignore my brilliant wisdom and shoot very well without it. I have no idea how. Wee were shutting them out of the questions and my responses whether you regard them a bit thick of at least half as good as I think they are.
Now if they post that they have a cleaning method using only 18 ingredients they can also see my urging for a simpler method and other wizards can comment on the value of the original post.
I have only one middle finger for my typing and for political comments and I can't carry that whole volume.
Dutch

I will no longer respond to ALERTSas they are secret and don't spread any information.
Dutch
GO TO THE "ALERT PREFERENCES" IN YOUR HOME DIRECTORY. (CLICK ON THE LITTLE MAN IN THE RIGHT UPPER AREA OF THE FORUM SCREEN.

MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THE LITTLE BOXES ARE UNCHECKED. IF THERE IS A CHECK MARK IN THE LITTLE BOX, CLICK ON IT TO REMOVE IT.

AFTER ALL OF THE LITTLE BOXES NO LONGER HAVE A CHECK MARK IN THEM, GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN AND POKE THE BLUE "SAVE CHANGES" BUTTON.

THIS WILL STOP THE FORUM COMPUTER FROM SENDING YOU A ALERT EVERY TIME SOMEONE POSTS SOMETHING IN A THREAD YOU HAVE CREATED.

IT WILL ALSO STOP THE COMPUTER FROM SENDING YOU A ALERT EVERY TIME SOMEONE QUOTES ONE OF YOUR POSTS.

IT WILL STOP THE COMPUTER FROM SENDING YOU A ALERT EVERY TIME SOMEONE USES YOUR NAME IN THEIR POSTS.

IT WILL STOP THE COMPUTER FROM SENDING YOU A ALERT EVERY TIME SOMEONE POKES THE "LIKE POST" BUTTON IN A POST YOU'VE MADE.

Last edited:
I will no longer respond to ALERTSas they are secret and don't spread any information.
Dutch

I think you are confusing "ALERTS" with "PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS".
An alert just notifies you that someone has replied to one of your comments or that someone had posted a comment to a topic or forum that you are watching.

GO TO THE "ALERT PREFERENCES" IN YOUR HOME DIRECTORY. (CLICK ON THE LITTLE MAN IN THE RIGHT UPPER AREA OF THE FORUM SCREEN.

MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THE LITTLE BOXES ARE UNCHECKED. IF THERE IS A CHECK MARK IN THE LITTLE BOX, CLICK ON IT TO REMOVE IT.

AFTER ALL OF THE LITTLE BOXES NO LONGER HAVE A CHECK MARK IN THEM, GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN AND POKE THE BLUE "SAVE CHANGES" BUTTON.
THIS WILL STOP THE FORUM COMPUTER FROM SENDING YOU A ALERT EVERY TIME SOMEONE POSTS SOMETHING IN A THREAD YOU HAVE CREATED.
Thank you Zonie's.
If I could follow your directions I'd be an IT professor.
You forget I am too close to blindness to look for little Chezk box or Bulgarian ones as well.
My daughter local is busy will an ailing leukemia victim husband, The other daughter in Florida lost her husband of 18 years yesterday from no specific illnness. Just everything collapsed slowly one thing after another making her life pure hell for the past three years.
I don't like the damn alerts as they are secret and am trying to get everything out there on the main deck where others can laugh at my nonsense.
I do think I have stirred them up a bit but this cleaning thing has gotten ridiculous/ I think everyone has three different systems spelled out in detail every few hours.
On Anyone for Jokes the Amonia cleaner ws the very first good one. I always thought you were much younger. From the Whizzers contributed I am now adjusting your age back an additional 125 years
Dutch

Dutch
I have at times responded to you via conversations and should have contained no information that needed to be shared by everyone on the forum. I do know that the settings for ALERTS would be a formidable task for you. Maybe I should schedule a visit again and see I we can figure this out.

This thread is a lot to do about nothing. Black powder is a PITA to clean up, everyone knows that. There is no secret recipe that will make black powder clean up like smokeless, give it up. Countless recipes that work just fine, but no magic bullet as they say...

This thread is a lot to do about nothing. Black powder is a PITA to clean up, everyone knows that. There is no secret recipe that will make black powder clean up like smokeless, give it up. Countless recipes that work just fine, but no magic bullet as they say...

Perhaps it's a matter a perspective, but I disagree.

It's also an unfair comparison to enter smokeless powder into the equation.

Well I think this thread is GREAT and full of products I'd never heard of.
I very much appreciate the help as I've only been shooting BP for 6 months!
The club I am in in the UK lacks this information a beginner needs in these matters.
Keep it up guys and thank you for the help :)

I haven't read all the posts on this but has anyone else used QMAXX? it is amazing, I won't say it works miracles, but it's pretty dang good.

Dutch, when I clean a barrel, I blow moisture out of the barrel by simply blowing down the barrel. I know my breath is moist so then I squirt some WD40 down the barrel and follow it with a patch. After this a dry patch or two and then a patch with Barricade.

If a capper, I then replace the nipple and store the rifle either standing barrel down or for a couple hanging on the wall with the muzzle lower than the breech so oil etc. doesn't collect in the breech area.

Funny thing Jake,I target shoot with a fellow that always blows down the barrel after he shoots and he says that keeps the fouling soft for the next load. This applies only to target shooting, he said it makes loading the next shot easier without running a damp patch down. Apparently what he does works for him.
Squint

The mythology behind the blowing down the barrel practice is based on seeing the smoke come out of the nipple or touch hole means you have an unblocked flash channel. The second part of the myth is that you are supplying oxygen to burn up any remaining embers in the barrel before loading the next charge of powder. And of course the moisture in your breath softens the fouling.

Of course wiping between shots with a damp patch meets all those tests as well as removing fouling from the barrel. Besides you are not putting your mouth over the muzzle of a firearm. NMLRA regulations no longer allow blowing down the barrel on the range. Yes, I know that you are well aware of the fact that the rifle has been fired and no load is present in the barrel and that it has been done for many years and many will continue to blow down the barrel.

We should be aware that using a damp wiping patch that is too tight will push fouling down the barrel and fouling can build up to block the flash channel especially in a patent breech gun. Most of us need to use a looser jag to slide the patch over the fouling then bunch up to pull the fouling out. Or one can use a quite damp patch around the ball to load with the patch pushing the fouling down on top of the powder charge.

For cleaning I use hot water (not boiling) and scot bright to clean off the fouling, I ram it down the bore with a wooden dowel. I then run a rope down the barrel to pick up and moisture, after a few hours I then hit the outside surfaces with a light coating of baricade oil, and then grease the bore with all purpose gun grease. Salt Silica packets dropped down the bore can prevent moisture build up.

I’ve never really had a major issue with rust build up, if its there I polish it out with high grit Emory and jewelers paper.

One very important thing about my guns I try to keep is being able to remove the breech plug I use a generous amount of anti seize grease to make sure I can without too much work, remove a breech plug.

For cleaning I use hot water (not boiling) and scot bright to clean off the fouling, I ram it down the bore with a wooden dowel. I then run a rope down the barrel to pick up and moisture, after a few hours I then hit the outside surfaces with a light coating of baricade oil, and then grease the bore with all purpose gun grease. Salt Silica packets dropped down the bore can prevent moisture build up.

I’ve never really had a major issue with rust build up, if its there I polish it out with high grit Emory and jewelers paper.

One very important thing about my guns I try to keep is being able to remove the breech plug I use a generous amount of anti seize grease to make sure I can without too much work, remove a breech plug.

Why use a rope?

"Salt Silica packets dropped down the bore can prevent moisture build up." That has to be a lot of fun when they get stuck in the bore to get out.

Back