• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rust stopping oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only saw the (patent' breach) pictures this week. An eye opener. I never though about that. it is too bad the modern engineers could not find a way to have a removable breach that looked authentic. I envy how the inline shooter can twist off the plug and run a patch between shots and shoot all day. Easy clean later.
WELL,I HAVE LEARNED THERE ARE ELEVENTY THOUSAND WAYS TO CLEAN A RIFLE BARREL. THEY ALL SEEM TO BE COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER TO SEE WHO HAS THE MOST COMPLICATED ROUTINE. I, OF COURSE PRESERVE MY OWN VERY SIMPLE METHOD DESCRIBED HERE QUITE A FEW TIMES AND ON PAGE 93-4 OF THE BOOK
ONE PERSON WAS AWARE OF OF THE COMPLCATION CAUSED BY THE PATENT BREECH, cheers everyone,
I WAS WATCHING TO SEE IF ANY OF THE RECIPES INCLUDEED BOWING TOWARD MECCA BUT NOT ONE SUCH ADVICE SHOWED UP.
I TRRULY HOPE THAT SUBJECT HAS NEEN SETTL

WHEN PEOPLE RESPOND VIA THE alert SYSTEM, NOBODY ELSE CAN SEE THAT REPLY AND SO ONE AFTER ANOTHER I RECEIVED THE SAME MESSAGE OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
I WOULD PREFER CONTACTS BE MADE ON THE MAINDECK OF THE ML FORUM SO ALL CAN LEARNED AS A GROUP OR AT LEAST BETTER THAN ONE AT A TIME,

MY METHOD IS NOT NECCESSARILY BETTER EXCEPT THAT IT IS QUICK AND SIMPLE, CAN BE DONE AT THE RANGE IN A FEW MINUTES. THERE IS NO IRRITATION OF WIFE WHO HATES YOUR FILTHY HOBBY.. THERE ARE FEW OPPORTUNITIES TO not irritate a wife.

If you don't pull rust or the black residue of BP your method of cleaning is dandy. Irritated bride notwithstanding.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

. I envy how the inline shooter can twist off the plug and run a patch between shots and shoot all day. Easy clean later.
Why ? There is nothing to envy. A traditional muzzleloader is easier to clean, keep in mind people were cleaning their muzzleloaders for hundreds of years without incidence before the modern gun arrived, let lone modern cleaning tools and methods.
If you have a cleaning problem, it's not gun related. It's equipment, methodology or knowledge related.

Too many people apply too much modern gun knowledge to muzzleloaders, and that is the core problem.

On a piping hot barrel.... just after being dried out and ready to oil; I use Rem-oil dampened piece of t-shirt and give all exposed surfaces a good rubbing until shiny. I also use a bit of blue (marine) grease + Rem-oil on my barrel swab and give my barrel a good swabbing too. Don't forget to give a very light coating to your barrel tang and brass wedges. The lock, when it is cleaned down to the bits... and reassembled, it would not hurt it to give it a very light coat of blue grease too.

My TC Hawken is still in primo shape after 20+ years of service.

On a piping hot barrel.... just after being dried out and ready to oil; I use Rem-oil dampened piece of t-shirt and give all exposed surfaces a good rubbing until shiny. I also use a bit of blue (marine) grease + Rem-oil on my barrel swab and give my barrel a good swabbing too. Don't forget to give a very light coating to your barrel tang and brass wedges. The lock, when it is cleaned down to the bits... and reassembled, it would not hurt it to give it a very light coat of blue grease too.

My TC Hawken is still in primo shape after 20+ years of service.

i had a neighbor who owned a very cute cocker Spaniel.
She loved that dog so much she greeted him back in the house with toilet paper in hand whose use was followed by a wonderful bath.
Every day.
The Dog's skin had all oils removed by this method and the puppets skin was hard, dry and subject to cracks.
Her remedy for that was another shampoo.

Perhaps we should start a thread exploring how much excessive cleaning tends to wear out a rifle.

Just a thought.

Dutch

Perhaps we should start a thread exploring how much excessive cleaning tends to wear out a rifle.

I'm definitely against excessive removal from the stock. Every time the barrel or lock is removed, the fit is loosened. Same goes for pins and wedges.
And nipples too.

I'm definitely against excessive removal from the stock. Every time the barrel or lock is removed, the fit is loosened. Same goes for pins and wedges.
And nipples too.
What I thought was the best part of my very quick at the range cleaning method was that for rifles that were not equipped with an easily removable barrels, Like your Kentucky or Pennsylvania long rifles, your choice, you could effect your cleaning without removing the barrel and not damaging that beautiful stock with splashes of very hot soapy water.
The Hawken, typically, has a single edge holding the barrel in place and veils! the barrel lifts out and you can work your wild cleaning method without injuring the rest of the rifle. But those beautiful Long Rifles, that must be a job.
Dutch Schoultz

you could effect your cleaning without removing the barrel and not damaging that beautiful stock with splashes of very hot soapy water.

Depends on the type of finish. I don't have a problem with it. and I don't use boiling water when the barrel is in the stock. There is no standard method of cleaning that applies to all situations.
Find the one that works for you and stick with it. Took me a long time to find one that was fast, simple, easy, and effective and cheap.

Best advice I can give to people is that soap is good, chlorates are bad, oxygen is not your enemy when cleaning, and alcohol removes water.

What I thought was the best part of my very quick at the range cleaning method was that for rifles that were not equipped with an easily removable barrels, Like your Kentucky or Pennsylvania long rifles, your choice, you could effect your cleaning without removing the barrel and not damaging that beautiful stock with splashes of very hot soapy water.
The Hawken, typically, has a single edge holding the barrel in place and veils! the barrel lifts out and you can work your wild cleaning method without injuring the rest of the rifle. But those beautiful Long Rifles, that must be a job.
Dutch Schoultz
I received no cheers from the long rifle crew so must assume they are using the laborious olde time methods
involving pin removal and Lock removal for cleaning. I guess they must remove the lock from the barrel ???
they would have the lock in the hot and soapy. (someone straighten me out on that problem). There and tear on the
aging rather dry wood stock must be considerable.
When I first got to see these beautiful old style rifles there were a bunch of their owners who hesitated about shooting them casually, not in any competition situation.
It was probably the the idea of doing all that cleaning procedure.

TheyARE beautiful and I can respect the amount of extra care they require.
Dutch

Depends on the type of finish. I don't have a problem with it. and I don't use boiling water when the barrel is in the stock. There is no standard method of cleaning that applies to all situations.
Find the one that works for you and stick with it. Took me a long time to find one that was fast, simple, easy, and effective and cheap.

Best advice I can give to people is that soap is good, chlorates are bad, oxygen is not your enemy when cleaning, and alcohol removes water.
Tsk! I guess I'll never learn how you clean an in-stock long rifle barrel,
Dutch

TheyARE beautiful and I can respect the amount of extra care they require.
Dutch

I own quite a few Hawken style guns, they see little action compared to my long rifles, in part due to the fact that my long rifles are easier to clean, because I don't disassemble them and don't need to.

A man can learn a lot in a half century of shooting, if he's open to learning.
If your method of cleaning doesn't work, then you have a question to answer, a problem to solve and something to learn.
Enjoy the journey, don't fight it.

... I would have him down as more of a flint lock man! :)
Dear mystery writer
I own quite a few Hawken style guns, they see little action compared to my long rifles, in part due to the fact that my long rifles are easier to clean, because I don't disassemble them and don't need to.

A man can learn a lot in a half century of shooting, if he's open to learning.
If your method of cleaning doesn't work, then you have a question to answer, a problem to solve and something to learn.
Enjoy the journey, don't fight it.
How to clean an in-stock long rifle is a simple secret. It's witten on the paper underneath the key to the back door to Fort Knox where all that gold used to be.

Dutch

How to clean an in-stock long rifle is a simple secret. It's witten on the paper underneath the key to the back door to Fort Knox where all that gold used to be.

Dutch

Actually, it is simple.
We just assume otherwise.

Last edited:
I only saw the (patent' breach) pictures this week. An eye opener. I never though about that. it is too bad the modern engineers could not find a way to have a removable breach that looked authentic. I envy how the inline shooter can twist off the plug and run a patch between shots and shoot all day. Easy clean later.
I will no longer respond to ALERTSas they are secret and don't spread any information.
Dutch

I will no longer respond to ALERTSas they are secret and don't spread any information.
Dutch

Back