• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust stopping oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our All Natural "Bore Butter" is absent of any petroleum based oil,
Never trust a company that tells you what isn't in their product, but won't tell you what is. The lie is in the language.

Seasoning aka gunking up your bore.

Agreed, You can't season a bore because the temperature doesn't get hot enough for long enough.

Never trust a company that tells you what isn't in their product, but won't tell you what is. The lie is in the language.

Agreed, You can't season a bore because the temperature doesn't get hot enough for long enough.

I can only tell about me and mine. When I first get a rifle or need to clean a rifle, I put the barrel in a five gallon bucket without the nipple attached. I fill the bucket with about 2 1/2 gallons of super hot soapy (dish soap) water. I scrub the bore, then dry the bore quickly with paper towel patches. If I can't get a clean patch out of the bore, I put a paper towel patch with T/C #13 bore cleaner down the bore. The patch has always been clean after the #13 swab. I immediately swab the bore with bore butter and wipe down my stock with it also. I have NEVER in 40 years had a touch of rust in my bores. I use moose milk patches (wet) and have great accuracy. If I had a product that good, I wouldn't tell anyone what was in it either. Weather the bore is seasoned or not, I don't honestly know or care. I don't have rust in my barrels, never have and don't expect any.

So I have used my twin tube water holder this evening after a day at the range. It works perfectly and makes holding the barrel and changing water for cleaning very easy. My cleaning system this evening was :-

Warm water & soap patch.
change water.
Warm water & soap patch.
change water.
Scrub in warm water with bronze brush.
change water.
Warm water & soap patch,
Flush with hose.
Dry with absorbent paper towel on rod.
Flush with IPA.
Dry patch.
Rig grease soaked wool mop.

The barrel was squeaking clean before the grease patch and coming out perfectly clean with no trace of anything.

If this thorough clean is not enough, I'll swap the RIG for Hoppes 9 on a fresh wool mop.
TO ME. PUTTING WATER IN THE BARREL IS A MAJOR MISTAKE.
PUTTING A COAT OF ANY OIL AFTERWARD MERELY SEALS THE WATER INTO THE STEEL SO RUST CAN HAPPEN.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ
One issue I have with the T/C Bore Butter guidance is that a rifle barrel is not porous like a cast iron skillet. The "seasoning" imparted by Bore Butter is not any different than the dreaded tar resulting from use of a petroleum based oil. Not only is seasoning unnecessary, but it provides a coating to cove corrosion. Too much "seasoning" will fill the grooves and one may think their rifle is shot out.

Needless to say, but I have a very low concept of the practice of "seasoning" the bore of a muzzle loading rifle.
AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.
IT'S NOT THAT IMPORTANT.
DUTCH

I can only tell about me and mine. When I first get a rifle or need to clean a rifle, I put the barrel in a five gallon bucket without the nipple attached. I fill the bucket with about 2 1/2 gallons of super hot soapy (dish soap) water. I scrub the bore, then dry the bore quickly with paper towel patches. If I can't get a clean patch out of the bore, I put a paper towel patch with T/C #13 bore cleaner down the bore. The patch has always been clean after the #13 swab. I immediately swab the bore with bore butter and wipe down my stock with it also. I have NEVER in 40 years had a touch of rust in my bores. I use moose milk patches (wet) and have great accuracy. If I had a product that good, I wouldn't tell anyone what was in it either. Weather the bore is seasoned or not, I don't honestly know or care. I don't have rust in my barrels, never have and don't expect any.
I TRY TO KEEP AS MUCH WATER AWAY FROM A GUN BARREL AS POSSIBLE. THE ONLY WATER IS THAT CONTAINED IN THE MOOSE MILK USED TO DAMPEN THE RESIDUE REMOVING WIPES.
DUTCH

Stumbled upon barricade. Been using it for a few years now to coat things until the next range trip.

Wipe out the bore and fire off a half charge or so of Black MZ and shoot the rest of the day like normal. After shooting all day, clean up, coat with Barricade until next time and repeat.

TO ME. PUTTING WATER IN THE BARREL IS A MAJOR MISTAKE.
PUTTING A COAT OF ANY OIL AFTERWARD MERELY SEALS THE WATER INTO THE STEEL SO RUST CAN HAPPEN.
DUTCH SCHOULTZ

AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.
IT'S NOT THAT IMPORTANT.
DUTCH
That's Okay, Dutch. Your waterless method does work. So does the soapy water method with a good drying to remove the water or use of a patch or two of water displacement liquid (WD40 or rubbing alcohol) and use of a rust inhibiting lubricant to provide a seal between the barrel steel and water in the humidity.

Some folks sure get testy don't they, when their cleaning method is different from yours.

Does it really mater if you do not use water?

Seems un-important to me how a person cleans. Cleaning is one of the most debated topics for the last 15 years that I have been reading here, that and short starters.

Stumbled upon barricade. Been using it for a few years now to coat things until the next range trip.

Wipe out the bore and fire off a half charge or so of Black MZ and shoot the rest of the day like normal. After shooting all day, clean up, coat with Barricade until next time and repeat.
I THINK YOU ARE USING THE SAME SYSTEM I USED EXCEPT YOU ARE ISINF BARRICADE INSTEAD OF WD 40

SIMPLE AND QUICK.
DUTCH

Some folks sure get testy don't they, when their cleaning method is different from yours.

Does it really mater if you do not use water?

Seems un-important to me how a person cleans. Cleaning is one of the most debated topics for the last 15 years that I have been reading here, that and short starters.
A LONG time ago on a different forum sorta there were the sqirrel War.I have no idea what the bone of contention was and you are correct. Our current wars have been about the short starter or the cleaning method.
I am convinced that the one and only practice with the short starter and the cleaning method is the one that works best for you. I want no further arguments on either one,
Now what was it with the 1985 squirrels?
Dutch

Sorry guys,
Is this thread a war?
To me it seems like a really good exchange of ideas, nobody seems at war here?
I've picked up some really good tips, the Renaissance Wax was an EPIC suggestion! I bought a tub and use it on the new rust brown finish on my cannon, it's REALLY nice stuff :)

Barricade and Hoppes 9 are also oils I'd never used and will be trying.

I don't know why I get patches like this SDSmlf? (lower patch)
https://ibb.co/LYpn0C7
This is why I started this thread.

As far as I can tell, the bore is clean and dry.
My last clean:-

Warm water with dish soap,
(dry patch),
IPA wash,
(dry patch),
IPA patch,
(dry patch),
Wool mop soaked in gun oil.

However, same process, but with RIG grease on the mop for my last clean a day ago, so I will report back in a week or so for the first patch result.
IPA???? Can you use stout or lager?
I have used lots of natural fats in my guns. I have had a few ‘skip a beat’times with a brown stained patch.. but found it was just browned grease or oil.
Make sure your gun is clean, oil, check over next few days then after a week or two. My guns get a swab and check about once a month, and a lightly oiled patch after a dry one.

Agree.

Squirrel war, I do not have a clue there at all.

I made a deal with the squirrels, if they do not chew holes in my house, I will not eradicate them and their families.
Just like the rattlesnake in the old Indian\rattlesnake fabel - the squirrels - "what did you expect - I am still a squirrel - it's my nature"
LOL - (and they taste good) - either one of them....

After 150 posts I've learned that if you use a natural oil/fat or a petroleum oil/fat it will probably protect your firearm from rust. I also learned it is a good idea to check your firearm from time to time to see if any rust has shown up and if so to re-apply your favorite fat/oil.

After 150 posts I've learned that if you use a natural oil/fat or a petroleum oil/fat it will probably protect your firearm from rust. I also learned it is a good idea to check your firearm from time to time to see if any rust has shown up and if so to re-apply your favorite fat/oil.
I keep a log of all my firearms. Every time I take one out to hunt or shoot, I update the "Last serviced" date column.
Any firearm that has not been serviced in a 3 month time period gets a quick trip to the bench for a barrel wipe and mechanicals oiling.
That may be a bit OCD but all my guns, even those well over the century mark, stay in top condition.

So it would seem that even though we are now at 157 posts, I still haven't worked out how to stop my bore rusting!

This is the latest patch taken this evening after the very deep clean from post 135 on Sunday!
https://ibb.co/r46CgLj

So Barricade on it's way for another try !!

So it would seem that even though we are now at 157 posts, I still haven't worked out how to stop my bore rusting!

This is the latest patch taken this evening after the very deep clean from post 135 on Sunday!
https://ibb.co/r46CgLj

So Barricade on it's way for another try !!
That does not appear to be the color of rust......
Maybe dried lubricant?

I'll repeat the post 135 clean but use Barricad and leave it a week or so.
We will see.
If it works, all these pages will have been wort it :)
It was worth it for the Renaissance Wax anyway ;)

Back