• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rust Prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran several tests for rust prevention and was surprised that my top three preventitives were not al all what I thought.

In order:
1. Marvel Mystery Oil
2. Howards Feed n Wax
3. Superblond shellac

Ballistol and WD40 were down the list. A few, like FLITZ metal polish were actually corrosive in the long term.
Natural oils theoretically could degrade into acetic acid and be corrosive, but that might be over a very long time or other circumstances.

@Panama Red

You do you. I don't really care one way or the other. Here is my procedure that I've used for decades now. Never, I repeat, NEVER, an issue.

I am a 'pumper'. That means either pulling the wedge and removing the barrel OR using a tube with either a magnet or a threaded 'nipple' that fits the removable touch hole liner or nipple. I pre-soak the barrel 3 times for roughly 5-10 minutes each. Pour some COLD water down the bore with a toothpick in the nipple/touchhole. I then pump COLD soapy (Dawn) water up and down the barrel with a tight fitting patch. Roughly 5 strokes per shot. I then change water to COLD non-soapy water. 1 stoke per shot. Then HOT non-soapy water. 2-3 strokes per shot. Then dry barrel inside and out by wiping off exterior and then patching out the water.

Then comes the WD-40, I buy this by the gallon and use a WD-40 squeeze sprayer. I do NOT use aerosol WD-40. I spray WD-40 down the barrel till it runs out the touch hole/drum/snail. I liberally spray WD-40 over the exterior. The barrel sits muzzle down for 12-24 hrs. What ever is convenient. I then dry the barrel inside and out with patches. The WD-40 did it's job at displacing moisture and rust preventing in the short term. I then use Brownells Rust Preventative #2 inside and out. It is a light oil that is designed for FFL's to keep fingerprint rust off of guns. This stuff works FANTASTIC. And is easy to remove for preparing to shoot.

This long drawn out post is to try to show you that CLEANLINESS is more important than you might think. CLEAN the gun, then worry about displacing moisture, then let it 'dry', then finally worry about what 'goop' you are going to apply to prevent rust.

I ran several tests for rust prevention and was surprised that my top three preventitives were not al all what I thought.

In order:
1. Marvel Mystery Oil
2. Howards Feed n Wax
3. Superblond shellac

Ballistol and WD40 were down the list. A few, like FLITZ metal polish were actually corrosive in the long term.
Natural oils theoretically could degrade into acetic acid and be corrosive, but that might be over a very long time or other circumstances.
Yes Howards Feed N Wax is absolutely fantastic at preventing rust.

I saw Strike Hold on the list and I have a bottle. Pretty much only use it to spray the connections when stringing Christmas lights outside. It really helps keep water from getting into the extension cord connections and tripping GFCI outlets!

Yes, that's what surprised me. I use it occasionally to get the moisture out. I may get some of the Specialty and use it more often.
in that test I think hornady one shot a lube for cases came in first or tied for first

I was surprised at the WD40 Specialty results. WD40 has been praised and da%$#d for years. Dutch was a proponent of WD40.
I have used WD40 for decades and can safely say that I have never developed rust in the barrels of any of my firearms(both ML and modern)…..even during prolonged storage(20+ years). My shotguns have been routinely subjected salt/coastal areas where rust can develop quite fast. A good flush with fresh water, then WD40, does the trick! I was also surprised at the Specialty WD 40 results and bought some to try…..Haven’t used it yet though.

The WD in WD40 stands for water displacing. I consider it essential for a gun that has been out in the wet and especially around salt water. That said, it is not a lubricant. It does not replace oil or grease. And while they claim it leaves a rust preventing film, on my guns that will quickly be covered by Ballistol or oil or grease, depending.

We are all a little the same in that no matter what proof is set before us we still have our individual mindsets about what we think is best. Not just oil, but everything. The man shared the results of a laborious and exhaustive testing process but still we cling to "what works for me." I'm old, but not too old to learn and change.

I think Hornady One Shot is a case lube. Maybe there are two different products
Hornady one shot cleaner and case lube.....

I have been told it has lanolin in it, I have not tried it for long term rust prevention (I like RIG for that) but as a case lube and keeping things moving it works great.

Back