• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rust in bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallguy888

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a barrel recently. A smoothbore .56 Cal.. It has alittle rust inside and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way to remove it and get it as close to perfect as possible?

Using some #0000 steel wool on a .54 cal cleaning jag will remove the loose rust. You might want to apply a little real light weight oil to the steel wool to help it in its task.
Clean every so often with clean patches soaked with your favorate gun cleaning solvent and check your progress.

If the rust hasn't pitted the barrel, it should be ready to shoot.

Get some JB Bore Cleaning Compound. I buy mine from Track of the Wolf. Get a good range rod and a brass brush. Take an old cotton sock and cut it into strips. Then wrap a strip of thick sock around the brush (.54 caliber might do it) Put a small amount on the cotton and then start working that Bore Paste up and down. Every 15 strokes change strips and add a little more paste. Do this for at least 50 strokes. After that, run some solvent patches down it to get the bore paste out (I like the Birchwood Casey Bore Solvent and Birchwood Casey Sheath.. it is good stuff). Then take a look and see if the rust is out. If you can get a big enough cleaning jog you can use that instead of the brush.

Since it's a smoothbore, I'd clean it like I clean the plastic residue out of my trap & skeet shotguns:

Chuck a shotgun cleaning rod into a drill motor, put on a matching size bore brush (54-56cal) and slowly run the rotating bore brush back and forth the length of the barrel while keeping it saturated with almost any bore cleaner, WD40, etc, etc...you'll be done in a couple minutes

A little...shoot it out a couple of round ball shots and she should be clean as a whistle.

Tallguy888: I'm curious! Is this a T/C Renegade? I may have a chance to aquire one ,and would like to know how well it shoots with the fairly short smoothbore bbl.The suggestions given should clean the rust out! I've used the brass brush on a drill motor with good results .I'm certain that cayugad's idea will also work well,it might be a good thought to use the J.B compound to polish after the bore brush.Let us know the results and how it shoots.I have a Renegade in .54 cal. and it's a great gun,but I'd like to try a smoothbre. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also have a TC .56cal smoothbore barrel and was surprised at how accurate it is....550 balls with prelubed Oxyoke .015" patches & wonder wads

Yes It a T/C Renegade. I own two of them and they have been reliable and accurate. I cleaned the barrel I just picked up and haven't had a chance to try it yet. There is some pitting so we'll see.

Latest posts

Back