• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ruggles Patent Underhammer Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am enjoying the products of your time "in confinement". The convertible screwdriver & nipple wrench is a great idea also. Keep up the good work.
Barry

To be honest : this is a pretty old design , which I saw in a complete duelling case in a museum ( which I sold to them ... ) made by Hofbüchsenmacher Barella in Berlin

Just for showing You , how perfectly patched my bullet seater delivers to the barrel ! ( Sorry for the poor quality of the photo , taken with my smartphone ) . But You can clearly see , that it's delivered perfectly centered ! The patch looks somehow :( , I formerly had used it for wiping my ( already clean ) barrel . I only dream , that my shooting abilities will ever reach the accuracy of my gun ....

40.jpg

Last edited:
Sixth day of my isolation : Today , I've made an automatic powder flask with adjustable throw : Also nothing new , I've some such in my collection .This time , somewhat narrower than the vintage ones .

I've had an old inflating pump with brass tubing , which I altered to an automatic powder flask . Each push on the vertical plunger delivers exactly 6,5 grns of No 1 Swiss . Having an adjustable plug inside , it also can be adjusted from 5 - 18 grns .
As You can see , I hit my thumb some time ago , so please be careful , when You tinker with some pretty powerful leaf springs !

42.jpg
41.jpg
43.jpg

Looks very vintage , doesn't it ?

7th day of my isolation : For the moment , being finished so far , my project seems to come to a break , since I'cant try it out on the range at the moment ... But I keep on to tell You of the progress !

But since I have to do something , I have planned to rebuild my original Ruggles pistol . Should there be an interest , I'll share with You . Please let me know !

Stay with good health , enfield

46.jpg
k-45.jpg

( Insert box will become tanned in the same colour as case , indeed )

Last edited:
Well , only for showing You my last week's work . Came out nice , didn't it ?

Should You be interested in the making of , have a look to my thread " Goodies , I like to own "

Goodies , I like to own

Having started the project last Sunday evening , I think , it's been a rather short time to complete it . But hey - they were said , they could make one in one single day long ago in their times !

11.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:
Finally , also the insert box for the loading tools has got its corect tint , suiting the rest of the case . Now I'm eagerly waiting for trying her out on range ...
20200421_185431.jpg

Today , finally our shooting range has opened for the first time since Corona and I've promised to show , how my new built "Corona - Spl." performs .

Load is 6,5gr Swiss No.1 , .290 RB pure lead , 0,01 patch , spit . 25m distance . I shot free hand standing on intl. competition target ( without shoulder stock ) .

I think , her debut is very promising . I love to shoot this little tack driver !

Now it's on me to gain a similar accuracy as she's already got ;););)

48.jpg

My underhammer made by deceased friend Bob Mims. GM .40 barrel, Bomar sight and screws were purchased. Bob crafted the rest. A fine shooter.

The nipple has a rubber cup in place for dry firing.
B7A7DDC8-8021-4627-93CC-CEB88FB1C7EA.jpeg

Unfortunately , I'm still caught by this unmentionable lockdown .

Therefore , I tinkered for the last weeks something absolutely unneccessary - but I like it .
By fortune , I could purchase on eB.. for little money an old Russian case for a Margolin - pistol and decided to build a case for one of my underhammers from it .
I know , these items are already collectors items , but - what the hell ...

Every single piece inside the case , incl. the gun , the lining and every tool , I made by myself .

Sure - not an expert job , but I like it and the gun is a real goal - getter in huge .315 cal. :)

Someone likes it , too ?

IMG-20210107-WA0001.jpg

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Unfortunately , I'm still caught by this unmentionable lockdown .

Therefore , I tinkered for the last weeks something absolutely unneccessary - but I like it .
By fortune , I could purchase on eB.. for little money an old Russian case for a Margolin - pistol and decided to build a case for one of my underhammers from it .
I know , these items are already collectors items , but - what the hell ...

Every single piece inside the case , incl. the gun , the lining and every tool , I made by myself .

Sure - not an expert job , but I like it and the gun is a real goal - getter in huge .315 cal. :)

Someone likes it , too ?

IMG-20210107-WA0001.jpg

Quote Reply
Report Edit
Not too shabby!
Nice looking pistol and case!
My most sincere compliments.

Wow - that's , what I payed for the raw barrel only ! Keep in contact with this guy , working for less than his material and even his labour !
But let me show You , how I started my stock , which I plan to make from an odd piece of maple .

The drilled holes are for the planned attachment of a shoulder stock .

View attachment 25297 View attachment 25298
Hi,
Just got back to this post.
Thank you very much for the pictures and the time to post these views.
Much appreciated!
Fred

Latest posts

Back