• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruggles Patent Underhammer Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neue Frisur- cool,
wenn du deine Teile auf "der Bank"drehst dann steigt meine Hochachtung noch mehr.
Aber mal ehrlich wo und wie fräst du deine Teile?
Die sind doch nicht mit einer Feile gefertigt?
Ich hatte in den 1960er eine Ausbildung zum Starkstomelektriker (Industrie);da standen wir 3/4 Jahr am Schraubstock;
das hieß "Eisen erzieht" einschließlich mit Kreuzmeißel Schmiernuten schlagen;
15 Lehrlinge in dem Jahrgang; als meine Knöchel blutig waren bei den Kreuznuten bin ich zum Ausbilder gegeangen und habe ihn gefragt ob es nicht einen leichteren Weg gäbe;
"ja min Jung" hat der gesagt, "aber pssst, nicht weitersagen, komm mal her"
er nahm ein stück Kreide, machte auf den Meißelkopf einen Punkt und dann auf die Hammerbahn ein Kreuz.....
"so und jetzt mußt du nur noch darauf achten das Punkt und Kreuz...."
ich hätte ihn umbringen können, echt, ehrlich passiert.
Ein richtiges Schwein; und auch noch Jugendleiter der Falken.
Ich muss immer zum Maschinenbauer wenn ich ein Korn einsetzen will.
Wie machst du das?
Geniale Idee das mit dem Epoxyd, muß ich unbedingt ausprobieren.

Translatiion :

if you turn your parts on "the bench" then my esteem increases even more. But honestly where and how do you mill your parts? Aren't they made with a file? I had an apprenticeship as a high-voltage electrician (industry) in the 1960s, where we stood at the vise for 3/4 years; that means "iron educates" including making grease grooves with cross chisels; 15 apprentices in the year; when my ankles were bloody at the cross grooves I went to the instructor and asked him if there was an easier way; "yes min boy" he said, "but pssst, don't tell anyone, come here" he took a piece of chalk, made a point on the chisel head and then a cross on the hammer track ..... "so now you only have to pay attention to the point and cross ...." I could have killed him, really, honestly. A real pig; and also falcon youth leader. I always have to go to the machine builder if I want to use a grain. How you do that? I have to try this brilliant idea with the epoxy.

Well , beleave it or not - I really make all my parts on the anvil , lathe and handfiles , mostly using old material found on flea markets ! For years , Im already looking for a small , affordable mill , even if I'd first have to learn , how to handle it . But just for showing the afficionado , that all the work can also be done with usual hardware tools and patience , as our ancestors did , I also work my parts the old , hard way .

Keep busy , Rgds , enfield

Greetings, and yes, I actually file all the parts free hand . (During the last run I wore 2 files, damn tough, the barrel material ...)
I've been looking for a mini milling machine for a long time that would make my life a lot easier, even if I had to learn how to use it ...
Well, I work as a cross-border commuter in Switzerland and it looks like all the shops and the border will be closed for now, I just get the information that our business can only run on a back burner. I have to take (unpaid!) Vacation ...

Out of boredom, I have to keep doing my tinkerings :). . Greetings, enfield

Last edited:
@ Caspar25 : If you ever have to install a blade sight or whatever , you only have to file the exact depth of the base carrier into the barrel, then you take a triangular needle file, grind the cut off on one surface so that you do not file deeper into the barrel and file the slants in which you want to install your dovetailed part in the barrel. You just have to be careful that the sight , underlug or whatever you want to install has a tight fit. If you've filed away too much, a quick fix with a pin punch on the barrel helps to compress or glue it with Loctite.

Last edited:
Back to the stock for a moment... I got out my copy of Logan, and scanned through it. Your stock is certainly similar to the ones illustrated, and quite appropriate for your pistol.

Back to the stock for a moment... I got out my copy of Logan, and scanned through it. Your stock is certainly similar to the ones illustrated, and quite appropriate for your pistol.

That's what I think , too , meanwhile . A wooden stock would destroy the filigran look of my buggy gun and with this skeleton stock , I'm pretty happy ( espetially , since I prefere to handle steel instead of carving wood - being not my favorite material to work with .)

Hello Enfield.You have made a great job of your pistol.I like the internal Scotch spring.Leaves room to make a more esthetic guard to suit your hand. I too was brought up at the vice with a hammer and chisels with some hard taskmasters(including my father) but this always stood us in good stead. At least with metal we always have a Putting-On machines to hide our -ockups. Just a thought.Have you thought of adding a second 1/2 cock to your tumbler to leave the hammer just a safe amount clear of a capped nipple to allow you to carry the pistol as a back up while hunting and would stop a loose cap falling off.Both bents would need detents(flies).
OLD DOG.

Hello Enfield.You have made a great job of your pistol.I like the internal Scotch spring.Leaves room to make a more esthetic guard to suit your hand. I too was brought up at the vice with a hammer and chisels with some hard taskmasters(including my father) but this always stood us in good stead. At least with metal we always have a Putting-On machines to hide our -ockups. Just a thought.Have you thought of adding a second 1/2 cock to your tumbler to leave the hammer just a safe amount clear of a capped nipple to allow you to carry the pistol as a back up while hunting and would stop a loose cap falling off.Both bents would need detents(flies).
OLD DOG.
Thank You for Your kind thoughts - and yes , as You can see in my post from Feb 24 , there is a safety noth , but not so close to the nipple to prevent loss of a cap but for safely placing one with my capper , seen in my post of March 10 .

Because of the coronavirus , I have to stay at home , since the borders have been closed ( I'm working in Switzerland , but live in Germany ) .

So I use my time for tinkering a bit with my project .

I have an old walnut case for a telescope from the 1890s , which I want to use for my buggy gun , having enough space for all the goods needed on the range . The compartment for the pistol will be lined with green billiardfelt . Over this compartment , I've planned an insert box , which will contain telescope , loading equipment etc. , it's to become a two - story case .

For today , enough tinkered with wood . Tomorrow , I'll start to make a screwdriver and nipple wrench .

33.jpg

Sorry to hear about your limited movement.We have totally enclosed watery borders but still have the bug. My suggestion was not to move your normal 1/2 cock but to add an extra one close to the nipple.Needs to be carefully done but can leave you with a ready for use,bit like the hammer between the

Sorry to hear about your limited movement.We have totally enclosed watery borders but still have the bug. My suggestion was not to move your normal 1/2 cock but to add an extra one close to the nipple.Needs to be carefully done but can leave you with a ready for use,bit like the hammer between the

Remember - this entire gun is being made for target shooting only - there is no need for caring about a loaded pistol at half cock in Your boot ...;)

One of the few disadvantages of the Ruggles guns is the fact , that lots of residues from the priming enter the action . Therefore it is necessary to clean this from time to time , in my case once a month after about 200 shots ( I like to have my guns clean ! ) . For this reason , today I've made a goodie , which I wanted for long - a spring vice for easening disassembly . I made mine from some scrap brass and cold hammered it after filing . What makes shot shells brittle and hard should also do with my vice ,
35.jpg
36.jpg
where some stiffness is needed to prevent warp when handling some stiff springs . The use of brass should also prevent scratches on spring / frame .

Enfield, thanks for posting your Ruggles underhammer (unterhammer) build, it was very enjoyable to watch you make it! It came out great.

Thanks, Mike

Thank You , too !
But the whole journey has not finished yet ! Some accesories are still missing ! I'be glad to read Your comments and suggestions , what else still is missing . A powder flask with automatic charger is already planned !

If you get fouling back in the action, does your gun hand also get sprayed? Could a cup on the nipple and a longer hammer nose minimize this?

If you get fouling back in the action, does your gun hand also get sprayed? Could a cup on the nipple and a longer hammer nose minimize this?

No , not at least affected , The cup of the hammer encloses the cap totally . It's only the gases of the cap , that enter the action .

Last edited:
Fifth day of my corona - isolation : Today , I made a combination nipplewrench/screwdrive from some boxwood , brass and steel , which I hardened in oil and tempered free hand . Enjoy !

39.jpg
38.jpg
37.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back