Ruggles Patent Underhammer Pistol

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by enfield, Feb 15, 2020 at 9:07 AM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:07 AM #1

enfield

enfield

enfield

32 Cal

Recently , I started a new project .
    I'm lucky to have had the muzzle piece , cut off from a worn-out Swiss Grünig&Elminger barrel in perfect mirror state in cal. 7,5mm Swiss ( .30 ) and a very short twist , which should make very well for a frontloading pistol .( The rear end was REALLY worn after several 1000 shots ... )
    The rear third of the cutoff, I filed to an octagon of 21,5 mm , the front 2/3 i've turned to round on my 120 years old lathe . I cut a thread of 10X1mm and the same to the end plug , which is part of the " boxlock" - system . It's a really heavy barrel of 275mm length !
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The provisional stock is only for getting an idea of the project ...Maybe , it will also have a detachable shoulder stock in the end ...:ghostly:

If there is an interest , I'd be glad to share the progress with You .

Rgds from Germany , enfield

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    sourdough likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2020 at 10:32 AM #2

ppg1949

ppg1949

ppg1949

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

There is an interest. Please shar your progress. Thanks

3. Feb 15, 2020 at 10:56 AM #3

enfield

enfield

enfield

32 Cal

20200215_115226.jpg 20200215_115258.jpg
    After lots of filing and dremeling , the " breechplug-system" starts to look like it should ...Material is C-45 tool steel .

sourdough likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2020 at 11:32 AM #4

F.G. Ford

F.G. Ford

F.G. Ford

62 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hi,
    Please tell us where you got the design?
    I really enjoy underhammer guns!
    Thank you for posting.
    Fred

5. Feb 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM #5

enfield

enfield

enfield

32 Cal

Well - For over 40 years now , I enjoy shooting muzzle loaders , having started with a Pedersoli " Le Page " pistol .
    Being an extreme precision afficionado , soon I startet to shoot vintage pistols , which are much more precise than newly built ones , as I had to learn . If there is an interest , I gladly share pictures of my collection with You .
    Years ago , I was lucky enough to purchase an old , original , Ruggles pistol , and since then , I'm an absolute fan of this underhammer construction .
    Most all of these pistols , which I was able to see since then , had outstandingly precice barrels of astoninglishly small calibers ( .28 - .41 but mostly in the .30 range ) which also shot extremely well , what led to the decision to try my hands on rebuilding them .
    Very helpful was the book of Herschel C. Logan " Underhammer Guns " for finding samples , how these beauties have to look like .
    I was also lucky to have had some old barrels from Vetterli and other vintage rifles of the 1850s on , so I started to build my own Ruggles style pistol for competition shooting , what I do since then with great success .
    By the way : The Ruggles Patent of 1825 was one , if not the very first patent in the US for a percussion gun - nothing but inverting the well known boxlock of English and Belgian pocket pistols . The only thing to do was to add a slot for letting the trigger pass through the mainspring .
    Only four moving parts : trigger + spring , hammer + spring ! No expences for a inletted stock , trigger guard etc , no hammer disturbing the sight line , lots of balls to be carried but sufficient for the rabbit , that was unfortunate enough to pass the settlers way ...
    Easy and cheap to build and , most important , affordable for the men hunting west and in a need for a gun, who mostly were not wealthy enough to afford a mostly foreign made weapon that decided whether there was anything in the frying pan in the evening :)

dd832, desi23 and sourdough like this.
  6. Feb 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM #6

enfield

enfield

enfield

32 Cal

Today , I started to file and install the hammer 20200217_134204.jpg 20200217_134229.jpg

tallpine and sourdough like this.
  7. Feb 17, 2020 at 3:52 PM #7

Meanwhile

Meanwhile

Meanwhile

32 Cal

I'm very impressed with your skills. Interesting to see the step by step work you are doing. I've not handled one but you have peaked my curiosity. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted