• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruggle pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to look, now i want to build one!:ThankYou:
ruggle pistol.jpg

….I bought the last set on Track-Rod has another listed currently, and I’ve owned Rod’s work before!

Obviously, they’re: “No-Frills” simple pistols; When I called Track and found out they were consecutively numbered, it made sense to me as an: “Underhammer guy” to set them up as a cased set, despite slight variances in the pistols.

I suppose it boils down to whether or not you enjoy firing an underhammer; I now own 8 in my collection, including a previously built Fowler from Rod. First and foremost: Ruggle pistols were never built with a half-cock safety-Meaning I don’t cap until I’m pointed down range!

These ugly pistols point naturally-And a dab of paint on the rear of the front sight does wonders! I’m sure everyone has heard the: “Sales pitch” on owning an underhammer: Direct path of ignition, and no distraction from the side lock. Your sight picture is astonishingly: “Modern” and when you press the trigger, you fail to notice the cap detonate.

….And like a modern center-fire? The ignition is near instantaneous.

Back to the pistols.

I unpacked them today to inspect them; Rod’s work hasn’t changed! Virtually *zero* trigger creep and a crisp break. (Although No. 8 has a trigger canted rearward versus No. 7.)

I had once heard that Rod uses cut barrels that he reconditions-Since my Fowler was bought secondhand, I did not speak to him to confirm as much-But with high hopes, a flask of the holy black (Goex 3F) and *gorgeous* weather, I set out to test both pistols freehand. I loaded with .375 balls and a 0.010 patch. I decided to use a charge of 15-grains to start.

The triggers broke cleanly-As Rod’s work ethic shone. I don’t have a tester, but about 2.5-lbs. by feel. Cast Iron frying pans were swinging at 25-yards with a reassuring *Clang!*

The lead splattered near dead-center at point of aim. I almost pinched myself for two pistols that literally had a: “Dialed-in load” from jump.

Rod makes his components (Other than his barrels.) from scratch; As such, your triggers may differ, and you see filing and bluing marks. This adds to the charm.

Since all *THREE* of my Rod Olsen Ruggle Guns have delighted, my thoughts? It may be cheaper to build one, but I believe in the boilermaker’s tale:

“…There was a shipyard that built a massive cargo ship; Despite their best efforts, the steam engines ran poorly at best. After the most advanced technicians couldn’t figure out the problem, out of desperation, the owners hired an elderly gentleman who showed up with simple hand tools. As they smirked, the old man simply tapped a pipe twice-And the engines ran perfectly!

…Perplexed, the owners became *infuriated* when the old man handed them a $10,000 bill!

…When pressed, the old man broke down his bill as follows:

“…Time to travel: $50.00.

…Knowing *EXACTLY* where to tap: $9,950.00.”

….Rod Olsen knows *exactly* where to tap, if that makes sense!

Back