• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ruger Old Army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is: Are they worth it? I have several Ruger unmentionables and love them. I have a 1858 Rem clone and hate it. The Ruger reminds me of the Remington and I am starting to wonder if I would use one if I bought it. I have wanted one since I was a kid, but never bought one for some reason. Can I get an opinion from the guys who like the Colts, if you like the Ruger?
A few months ago I bought an unfired ROA fir $400. It’s in the box complete with the receipt from when it was purchased. I know it was a good deal. It’s no longer unfired. I couldn’t just let it sit in the case.
I like the Ruger. It shoots well and seems reliable for only shooting it 3 dozen times.
But for some reason I’m drawn to shoot my Navy Colt more. I think it just feels more historical.
Other than loading the ROA feels more like a modern gun. But that’s just me. I don’t think you can go wrong if you buy one.

In Absurdistan for a used one :
View attachment 144662

And the cherry on the cake :

View attachment 144665
That means :
"" Weapon of category B, subject to authorization, ID, valid shooting license and the original of each of the two parts of the prefectural authorization of category B required. "
So if you buy one or more S&W model 29 or one or more (more than one you can't) ROA this is the same : weapon authorization mandatory and issued by the authorities, even just to buy...... and also to save it in the bathroom cabinet... :D :D
Thank you John Hughett for coming to America in 1723. 😁

To be honest, I'm not sure whether you are saying that it is a problem to buy it or not, as you mention that it is classed the same as a cartridge-firing handgun like a Model 29. Here in UK we are so used to having replica firearms classed the same as any modern firearm that it's a 'so-what'?

We can legally walk into a dealer and buy a hundred genuine antique revolvers and take them home. But we are NOT permitted to shoot them.

If we want to shoot ANY antique firearm, then it is dependant on you having a Firearms Certificate, and having that firearm registered on it. And how to get a Firearms Certificate? That, mon vieux, is entirely a different subject......
I had ear a bit talking about that a relatively long time ago, but if this is like that in England, I feel sorry for you.
Over there, I think that they are very strictly regimented : when my son at law was young, he only can have an air rifle carbine...... other country other laws...
Here the problem is different in the way that all the clones are free after 18 years old : Navy 51, Army 60, Rem. 58 and all the others. You can get full cases of those hand guns without any authorization and cover your walls if you want........ EXCEPT the ROA and the Remington "Target" Uberti or Pietta...

Not easily. Really awkward to use. The simple/common straight line capper works best on revolvers, IMHO.
Works great on the Colts. That is part of my dislike for the Remingtons. It is nice to fill up a snail capper and have enough caps to shoot several cylinders. The inline cappers are okay but don't hold enough.

Why twelve? One is enough for most folks...that's just plain greedy. No wonder they are hard to find in the US of A. Our local gunstore has SEVEN for sale. Three of them unfired, too.
Like most aficionados, I like the multiple different variations. I don't just collect to accumulate. Several of them are resurrected from having been broken down for parts and I "rescue them" and restore the to their former glory. No one ever thought the Old Armys would come to this, but at least I can say that all of my mine are in pristine shooting condition. Someday, my collection will make quite a few worthy people very happy!

Saw a new stainless one at Friendship a dealer had it and was asking $ 900.00. It didn’t seem to excite anyone

Attachments

• DSC_3996.1Ajpg.jpg
    DSC_3996.1Ajpg.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 0
Saw a new stainless one at Friendship a dealer had it and was asking $ 900.00. It didn’t seem to excite anyone

Frankly I cant abide the modern day chunked up sights on Cap and Ball revolvers, it makes them difficult to draw from a Holster and IMHO discredits any challenge in the sense of an appreciation for authenticity.
I'm not trying to damn anyone here for their own preferences, but even at 70 years old I like the challenge of shooting authentic forearms; fortunately I've had Eye cataracts removed and synthetic lenses installed that make life reasonably easier.

And they are a blast to shoot!
Atta boy! Get them making smoke!
Frankly I cant abide the modern day chunked up sights on Cap and Ball revolvers, it makes them difficult to draw from a Holster and IMHO discredits any challenge in the sense of an appreciation for authenticity.
I'm not trying to damn anyone here for their own preferences, but even at 70 years old I like the challenge of shooting authentic forearms; fortunately I've had Eye cataracts removed and synthetic lenses installed that make life reasonably easier.

This! I just sold my second last adjustable sighted Ruger. Bleh. Those sights are all wrong. I’m considering a much lower profile hunting adjustable for the other one problem is it’s going to cost significantly more money…

it doesn't fill my hand as well as my colt 1860, but it's what i keep for things that go bump in the night.
Yes, I'd agree that I wished that my ROA fit better in my hand than it does. Its taking some getting use to. It feels in my hand like its 3/4 the size it needs to be. Its my first BP pistol & I haven't shot any revolvers in decades, only auto's, what little handgun shooting I did. Its a fun new challange & being right-handed & my right arm & hand being badly damaged, I'm learning how to shoot it with my weak side as well.

Yes, I'd agree that I wished that my ROA fit better in my hand than it does. Its taking some getting use to. It feels in my hand like its 3/4 the size it needs to be. Its my first BP pistol & I haven't shot any revolvers in decades, only auto's, what little handgun shooting I did. Its a fun new challange & being right-handed & my right arm & hand being badly damaged, I'm learning how to shoot it with my weak side as well.
I put Super Blackhawk grip frames Or Bisleys on mine. Painful to source and do but well worth it!

I put Super Blackhawk grip frames Or Bisleys on mine. Painful to source and do but well worth it!
Thanks BK, much appreciated. I'll deff look into finding them. In the meantime I'm learning to adjust my grip & trigger pull & gettin use to the gun as is. I'm learning for the first time to shoot weak sided too. I'm a righty with a trashed right arm, wrist & hand. I can shoot it right handed, but not very long before it all starts to hurt. Weak side handgun shooting is a fun & needed challenge for me & what a cool way to learn, but with a ROA BP pistol huh.

Latest posts

Back