• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this ROA image a lot too -- but maybe because it's mine... ;)

Old No7

Old Army Stag Grips 02 (Medium).jpg

I had a ROA, and it was very good quality. However, it looks too modern. I wish they had made it more like the originals.

Ya they have that modern look being the fact that Bill Ruger designed it using the Ruger BlackHawk SA revolver as a basis for the ROA. Interesting history development on it in RL Wilsons book on the history of Ruger's. Alot of other early penned articles around on the ROA, they were quite the thing when they came out in the early 70's. 1858 Remingtonish' looks. The ROA's without the adjustable sights give it a more 'vintage' look, wouldn't mind having one of those, but they're a bit harder to find and demand a much higher price.
I look at my roa as a modern colt dragoon. A great gun. It would be interesting if another manufacturer made a new percussion revolver with modern ideas?
I also love my 2nd gen colt navy and uberti Remington new model army.

Have always thought that also, a modern dragoon. A new percussion revolver would probably be a hit, scorned by fans of traditional Colt/Remington fans probably unless it was based on a Colt/Remington design. Cost would probably be higher than the proverbial 'kite' especially if made in the USA. Look at the price of Rugers Old Army several years ago when Ruger did decide to bring it back out. Not much heard about that endeavor. Limited output, hard to find, and high price. If I recall right, I think one of the big gun distributors here in the US was the main or only source for them. They were like a light bulb put in the wrong wattage socket-burned bright for a bit then burned out-gone.

My question is: Are they worth it? I have several Ruger unmentionables and love them. I have a 1858 Rem clone and hate it. The Ruger reminds me of the Remington and I am starting to wonder if I would use one if I bought it. I have wanted one since I was a kid, but never bought one for some reason. Can I get an opinion from the guys who like the Colts, if you like the Ruger?
There really is no comparison between the 1858 and the ROA. The ROA is way better! And the ROA does not bind up like the 1858. Just an excellent shooter!

How do you get 45gr of 2Fg in that chamber?
It may have been 40ish. I do remember it was a lot more than I thought it would hold. No clue at all if that cylinder has been modified. basically I arrived a chanrge by filling the chamber up to the point where it looked like the wad would just give the ball room to seat, poured it back into my measure, and subtracted a pinch. If the ball can't center itself in the chamber mouth before the rammer pushes it in you will get inconsistent grouping.

I shot it a few times, played with the charge a bit, and filed a spout to hold that much powder. This is like 15-20 years ago.

Back