• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ruger old army subs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversion cyl ? 45 colt? Which one?

Could you please private msg me as I’m looking to purchase one , don’t want to derail the thread.
I am using some .452 from my unmentionables in my conversion cylinder. They work pretty great for me! Added Pachmayr grips to the ROA and they actually tightened up my groups!

I highly recommend the Kirst conversion cylinder. All of my ROA'S (blued and stainless) have stainless conversion cylinders in them.

Mike

I highly recommend the Kirst conversion cylinder. All of my ROA'S (blued and stainless) have stainless conversion cylinders in them.

Mike
There was a rumor of a loading gate for the old army… anything to that? You’re killing us out here!

Not enough! But three now, all 7.5” one stainless fixed sight, one blue fixed sight, and one blue adjustable sight. I’m looking to replace the blue and stainless 5.5” guns I sold a few years ago…

I am up to nine now, but I really do have to thin the herd... those exact two you seek will be ones I retain, though !

There was a rumor of a loading gate for the old army… anything to that? You’re killing us out here!

Haaa! Well not a rumor (I've got one!! Lol). I only get to work on my own ideas as time allows but I'm just finalizing the profile for a part that will facilitate the easiest machining process. I've talked with Walt extensively on this and he's excited to see the final version. So, just hang in there!!!

Mike

and no, I'm not a distributor for Kirst, just so y'all know.

Why not cut a 7.5 down to 5.5? Then there's the rammer and its latch, plus relocating the front sight. Guess you'd need to be a machinist for that to be cost effective.
Not enough! But three now, all 7.5” one stainless fixed sight, one blue fixed sight, and one blue adjustable sight. I’m looking to replace the blue and stainless 5.5” guns I sold a few years ago…

Why not cut a 7.5 down to 5.5? Then there's the rammer and its latch, plus relocating the front sight. Guess you'd need to be a machinist for that to be cost effective.
I did it once, had a local gunsmith cut one to 5”. This was years ago before Ruger produced a 5.5” OR the fixed sight models. It’s a possibility…

BTW @hrt4me , heres a current auction for the 5.5” stainless…
7891109D-9C91-4A53-A01A-5A183FD545A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back