• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ruger old army subs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here had success with a bp sub(777) in the ruger old army? I would like to avoid breaking it down everytime or packing the internals with grease. I do not mind cleaning my single shot muzzleloaders because they contain less small parts. My father's Italian cap and ball revolver eventually locked up internally and I had to clean it out and buy new parts. He is older so I am not sure what his cleaning regime was. Thanks! The Ruger has never been fired with BP. It has clean internals because I disassembled it after I bought it. It is a 1973 blued model. I have fired 45LC with a kirst coverter.

Tons of videos out there of folks using just about any sub out there in percussion revolvers. With the nipple being a direct connection to the breach area of the chambers ignitions seems to not be an issue.

Has anyone here had success with a bp sub(777) in the ruger old army? I would like to avoid breaking it down everytime or packing the internals with grease. I do not mind cleaning my single shot muzzleloaders because they contain less small parts. My father's Italian cap and ball revolver eventually locked up internally and I had to clean it out and buy new parts. He is older so I am not sure what his cleaning regime was. Thanks! The Ruger has never been fired with BP. It has clean internals because I disassembled it after I bought it. It is a 1973 blued model. I have fired 45LC with a kirst coverter.
Switching to 777 is not going to change the cleaning requirements one bit.

@Old Hawkeye is correct, using 777 is not going to dirty up your revolver any less, it's still gonna be filthy with corrosive fouling when you're done and take just as much work to get it clean.

I personally don't strip my revolvers down completely every range trip, but every now and then I do (every 4 or 5 trips) and find that whatever little bit of fouling is in the internals come out easily and then it's good to go for a while. Just me personally, I know some guys do it every time.

Has anyone here had success igniting Blackhorn 209 with a #11 magnum cap? I know it is not advised on the Blackhorn website .

Why don’t you want to grease the interior of the ruger? It’s the only way to avoid stripping the gun every time you use it. And it works. Before I began using Mobil one synthetic grease I oiled the interior heavily and only stripped it every four or five outings. I had zero problem with corrosion. Now I clean the interior every year or two and I have zero problems with corrosion. I shoot every week, often many times per week. If I had to strip the guns every time I shot them I would probably be shooting unmentionables.

Blackhorn needs a duplex (kicker) load to have sure ignition with reg caps.
It is made for 209 primers in mmls. In our traditionals it works excellent--
but precharge with 3f or 4f BP. 10 to 15% kicker loaded first, then Blackhorn.
Now be sure your gun is sound and proven. Always have a gunsmith inspect
your rifle if it is your first time out with it,or if you have not used more powerful
subs like T-7 or Blackhorn. Wear hearing and eye protection. Early BP manuals
mention duplex loads. HOWEVER ,NEVER DUPLEX WITH SMOKELESS, ONLY WITH
DIFFERENT GRADES OF BLACK POWDER! I first tried it after reading Sam Fadala's
Black Powder Handbook way back when. REMEMBER TO REDUCE YOUR LOADS
WHEN USING HOTTER SUBSTITUTES BY ATLEAST 10-15%. PLAY SAFE.

Last edited:
I'll probably end up greasing internals if I decide to shoot the black powder cylinder. I have on occasion had mobil 1 grease separate out on occasion and make a huge mess. Usually it separated out from a grease gun. I was just trying to keep the workload down and preserve the pistol. Thank you all for the responses

It may separate some initially but it is not a continuous thing. I've packed the frames of all my revolvers for years and it's never been a problem in storage or use.

Mike

777 works great. Just use any opened can quickly because it seems to weaken with age/exposure to air! From a newly opened can I get excellent results in my "chunk gun". After letting the can sit for a year I couldn't even keep the shots on paper at 60yds! It is just about as corrosive as BP. So if it gets in the works it is going to cause rust.

Both me and a buddy used pyrodex pistol with great results, he used a much heavier load by filling the chamber then ramming that down and repeating that 2 more times before loading the ball and lubeing the chamber. He has used this method for year's now with no signs of wear yet, no guess as to just how much powder he crammed in there but he shot 3-4" groups off hand at 25 yards and had few problems head shooting grouse.

The only squibs and misfires traceable to powder I have had were for subs-
and yes T-7 draws moisture fast when exposed to air. Put the cap back on fast.
Pyrodex is a great substitute-- but lacks the punch of T-7 or Blackhorn.
Duelist 1954 does a great series of load tests on the ROA that include
T-7(youtube). He got magnum-level performance from two Ruger Old Armys.

Back