• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army ratchet design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had several of my cap-n-ball revolvers out today comparing the ratchet and hand designs and was marveling at Bill Rugers simple design of six holes in the rear of the cylinder with the nose of the hand radius-ed on the upper half to carry up each chamber to bolt lock.
I can't think of a more rugged ,strong design for a single action gun that handles the rotation of the sear nose in the cylinder ratchet hole, in it's lift stroke.
Have any other revolver been so designed ?

I'm no expert but have handled many BP revolvers (mostly replicas), and I can't think of any either. I agree, it is such a simple but significant deviation from what other companies had done (and many still do), it's brilliant. I've never once had a cap jam with my Old Army -- maybe shredded a cap once by cocking the hammer firmly, but never once had a "jam".

Which reminds me...

I just posted some images of my Colt 1860 -- NOW I need to get my Old Army out shooting some time!

Old No7

Ruger really was a genius gun designer. I don't believe the hole ratchet design would work for double action guns but is just about the most perfect set up for single action arms I could imagine.

Back