• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the center hole does not go all the way through the block, it is a recess for the front portion of the cylinder...

the through hole, I am not sure... never thought about cleaning, but I suppose that would work... I got these blocks to secure cylinders when I remove stubborn cones

Last edited:
Good nipple wrench for most original nipples with two flats, rather than a handy hex are made from 1/4 inch nut drivers (sheet metal screw drivers) intended for cordless drills and similar with the hex shank. Face of the driver is flattened, and the the slot is cut parallel to two flats in the hex socket end of the driver. This makes a very strong nipple wrench.
The 1/4 inch size is a bit harder to find than the standard 5/16 ths.
Put the shank of the driver in the drill press chuck, and the driver on the nipple.
Face of the cylinder on the drill press table. Hold the driver down firmly with the drill press quill and turn the cylinder BY HAND. Usually works after the long soak and heat cycling.

ground down a 3/16 socket so the surface was flat and sharp. Nipples didn`t stand a chance, didn`t need heat or lapping compound or anything

Back