• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army malfunction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send to Ruger and ask for a tune and time. They used to do this free. With new ownerships, etc. I'm not sure what their current policy. If they do charge, I believe the cost would be low and the job would be done right. One time I sent a ROA to them for this, they did it and even reblued the whole thing and included a certificate that the reblueing had been done by Ruger. No charge.

My choice with each of my two ROA as they are stainless, is to take off the grips, dismantle to main parts.Then I remove the nipples and put them in a small net bag. The lot then goes into the dishwasher.

Remove when still hot, dry, oil, stow until the next fun day.

Many, if not most, malfunctions, can be fixed with a good clean.

The dishwasher can’t get inside the frame so some dis-assembly is essential.

BTW, 'gunsmith school' here in UK is a seven-year apprenticeship with a gun-making company that ends up with you presenting a gun that you have made to the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers for their examination and judging. If they like it, they 'pass' you as a gunsmith/maker, and then you can take on your own apprentices...all of the major gunmakers here in UK use the apprenticeship scheme to fill their ranks - you can see how they go about it on Youtube if you are interested. Germany, Austria, France, Italy and Spain do the same kind of thing. A old friend of mine in Germany, a Meisterbuchsenmacher [master gunsmith] used to talk of his apprenticeship days with great nostalgia. He recalls his first 'homework'. He was given a cube of brass and a ball of the same material. Using only files and calipers, he was expected to turn the cube into a ball and vice versa. He managed, he said, by sheer perseverance, but half the class failed.

And THAT was just for starters. His Meisterstueck - masterpiece - was a double rifle in 8x57cal which he ended up presenting to the city mayor as a retirement gift from the town council.

These are the Arms of the British Company
View attachment 66426
They've been doing that since 1637. Seems to work just fine.
WHAT!?? Oh yeah? Well. Many of our gunsmiths attend YouTube university.

BTW, I’ve heard the story of the ball and cube before only it was gun barrel steel, the finished dimensions were 1” on all sides and the winner won an apprenticeship with Holland and Holland. Sounds like a great story. I’ll bet Hamilton Bowen could do it wearing boxing gloves...

Send to Ruger and ask for a tune and time. They used to do this free. With new ownerships, etc. I'm not sure what their current policy. If they do charge, I believe the cost would be low and the job would be done right. One time I sent a ROA to them for this, they did it and even reblued the whole thing and included a certificate that the reblueing had been done by Ruger. No charge.

Sir, you live in a totally different world to those of us out here. Thirty-five years ago tomorrow, I bought my ROA from Ron May from his gun store in Cherry Tree Rise, Buckhurst Hill, just outside London. Getting it home and on the range the following day, I noted that it shot about a foot and bit high at 25 yards. I also found the little slip in the instructions that mentioned that there was a free upgrade of a higher foresight - all I had to do was to send the form off to the UK importers, and I'd get my higher foresight by return mail.

Thirty-five years late, the mail has not returned.

It is generally agreed that Ruger service sucks.

Sir, you live in a totally different world to those of us out here. Thirty-five years ago tomorrow, I bought my ROA from Ron May from his gun store in Cherry Tree Rise, Buckhurst Hill, just outside London. Getting it home and on the range the following day, I noted that it shot about a foot and bit high at 25 yards. I also found the little slip in the instructions that mentioned that there was a free upgrade of a higher foresight - all I had to do was to send the form off to the UK importers, and I'd get my higher foresight by return mail.

Thirty-five years late, the mail has not returned.

It is generally agreed that Ruger service sucks.
I guess it is a different world. Your problem was with the UK importers. Ruger gives good service.

Hi Dude,

You mentioned in this thread that the owner of the ROA said that the problem is with the hand. There is another online gun parts store that sells ROA parts. Check out the website Ruger Old Army hand, blue #CB-7
A ROA hand is available but at a pricey $37.00 each. o_O
This store also has a few other ROA replacement parts. Click on Ruger Old Army
The company is located in South Dakota.

Latest posts

Back