• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Ruger Old Army .44 black powder revolver, stainless steel, 7.5" barrel, adjustable target sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ruger Old Army .44 black powder revolver, stainless steel, 7.5" barrel, adjustable target sight

$970 shipped to U.S. 48

- super condition, tight action
- stainless steel/brushed finish
- 7.5" barrel
- 6-shot unfluted cylinder
- S/N 145-13038, manufactured in 1978 (4th year of SS production, per Ruger's serial number info page. Serial Number Lookup)
- adjustable rear target sight
- original wood grips with inset silver eagle medallion
- nipple wrench
- includes soft case (no box/no manual)

This revolver looks great, works great, and shoots great -- no surprises or disappointments! I purchased it from an estate auction in 2021, shot it a couple of times, and now it just sits in my vault... I thought I'd shoot it much more, but when I want real power, I shoot my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, and when I want to make smoke, I shoot any of my reproduction BP revolvers, so I'm offering it up for sale to a home where it'll get the use it deserves (and to help fund my next BP shooter!).

$970 shipped to U.S. 48 (other states, please contact). Price is firm, but if you're in the Phoenix-metro area, we can meet and I'll knock off $20 for what I'd spend on insured shipping.

Payment via Zelle (preferred), PayPal, check, MO or other -- contact me and we'll work it out! I have bought and sold several BP revolvers through muzzleloadingforum.com, and can provide member references as needed. :)

ROA-5.jpg
ROA-6.jpg
ROA-10.jpg
ROA-11.jpg
ROA-9.jpgROA-7.jpg
ROA-8.jpg

ROA-2.jpg
ROA-4.jpg
ROA-1a.jpg

Last edited:
No 11 caps? Not No 10 revolver caps? I'm not familiar with ruger. Just curious about that

The ROA can use either #11 or #10 caps. The CCI #11 Magnum caps are the identical inside diameter as Remington #10, and shorter -- see the below chart for detail.

I haven't found any noticable difference in shooting performance between CCI 10, CCI 11, CCI 11M, or Remington 10 , although if chrono'ed, I imagine the magnum caps may provide a small additional FPS "kick." Nothing noticable without measuring instruments in my experience, however.

I buy whichever is available and blast away! :)

Greg

CapInside diameterHeightInternal Height
CCI No.10.161’’0.163.112’’
CCI No.11.166’’0.165.113’’
CCI No.11 Magnum.166’’0.165.113’’
Remington No.10.166’’0.181.144’’
Remington No.11.166’’0.152.115’’
RWS 1075 No.11.165’’0.160.114
RWS 1055 No.11.158’’0.20.112

No 11 caps? Not No 10 revolver caps? I'm not familiar with ruger. Just curious about that

Last edited by a moderator:

The manual says use 10 or 11 caps but the one I had wouldn’t set the 10’s off on the first strike. I had to run them around one time to seat them and then they’d fire on the second round. So I just used #11’s and it worked perfectly.

If any need assurance on the ROA’s boiler plate construction and ability to hold groups or take what ever amount of powder you can stuff in it I’ve four of them. Two equipped with 45C and 45ACP cylinders.
Buddy just payed substantially more for one NIB.
Myself I’d keep the Ruger over any other. Shoot better longer and goes up in value. 😊

These awesome revolvers do seem like timeless investments that continue to appreciate, and as Whughett states above…you simply can’t ram enough powder in the cylinder to ever be in danger. I’m on my 6th one (currently owning a clone to the one listed here, an early stainless model with the adjustable sights)…after having at least half a dozen over the last 40 years. They are a true joy to shoot and every bit as accurate as they are beautiful!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Only reason I asked was that my 58 Rem's and my colt army 's all had one problem 11's would fall off the nipples and 10's would grip and stay on.

Thanks for the info. Only reason I asked was that my 58 Rem's and my colt army 's all had one problem 11's would fall off the nipples and 10's would grip and stay on.

Whether I'm using OEM or Slix-Shot nipples, I typically give caps a little pinch before slipping them on -- just enough to change from round to slightly oval. That way, the caps fit snugly, and way less instances of coming off from adjacent-chamber gasses or recoil.

How about we keep this thread focused on selling a swell Ruger Old Army...

But, I have never experienced a chain fire, and can't imagine how a little pinch to the cap could increase the possibility. And NO, pinching the cap doesn't loose the priming compound. But even if it did, it's stuck between the nipple and cap, and going nowhere. And finally, the pinch is done as the caps being installed... not done to a batch (or any) in advance.

In my experience, the compound either is stable in the cap, or loose to begin with, typically on a batch (tin) basis... as in, one tin might have 10% with loose primers, while usually there's no problem.

Pretty much the agreed path to a chain fire. I would prefer to either procure or modify the nipples so they work without changing the configuration of the primers I'm using.

Question: I know squeezing caps is a common practice but wouldn't it also carry the chance of loosening the priming compound while doing so?

wm

If any need assurance on the ROA’s boiler plate construction and ability to hold groups or take what ever amount of powder you can stuff in it I’ve four of them. Two equipped with 45C and 45ACP cylinders.
Buddy just payed substantially more for one NIB.
Myself I’d keep the Ruger over any other. Shoot better longer and goes up in value. 😊
LOL, ROAs are not guns, now they are assets!! With four of them you can take a mortgage and use them as collateral!! Best BP revolver ever made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back