• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Field Carry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been having a hoot with my new to me Ruger Old Army:

D33D66A7-6A18-4F62-BB33-D65181871A87.jpeg

The walnut grips were just too pristine and I put on a pair of “goodyears”, i.e. Pachmayr Presentation rubber grips I had around. Honestly as beautiful as the walnut was, I didn’t want to risk damaging them. Additionally, these larger rubber grips are extremely comfortable and instead of the slippery and small Navy size factory grips, they fill the hand and give much better control over the firearm. It really amazed me how less ungainly the pistol feels now. It’s a big boy!

I also wet molded one of my cavalry flap holsters for the gun and it fits really nice now. Above it is pictured with my ammo pouch for carrying in the field for hunting and camping etc. The pouch is a military surplus USGI leather first aid dressing pouch and it perfectly fits an Altoids tin. I am using Dixie tubes from Dixie Gun Works and they work extremely well. You pour in the powder, push in a ball, and top off with a wad. The pouch carries six along with eight percussion caps wrapped in some foil (two spare caps just in case).

Just though I’d share guys. I’ve got some Track nipples coming soon which work great with CCI #11s, which I have a case of 1K of. They’re about the only cap I can find right now. Take care guys!

-Smokey

View attachment 97013

The walnut grips were just too pristine and I put on a pair of “goodyears”, i.e. Pachmayr Presentation rubber grips I had around. Honestly as beautiful as the walnut was, I didn’t want to risk damaging them. Additionally, these larger rubber grips are extremely comfortable and instead of the slippery and small Navy size factory grips, they fill the hand and give much better control over the firearm. It really amazed me how less ungainly the pistol feels now. It’s a big boy!

I also wet molded one of my cavalry flap holsters for the gun and it fits really nice now. Above it is pictured with my ammo pouch for carrying in the field for hunting and camping etc. The pouch is a military surplus USGI leather first aid dressing pouch and it perfectly fits an Altoids tin. I am using Dixie tubes from Dixie Gun Works and they work extremely well. You pour in the powder, push in a ball, and top off with a wad. The pouch carries six along with eight percussion caps wrapped in some foil (two spare caps just in case).

Just though I’d share guys. I’ve got some Track nipples coming soon which work great with CCI #11s, which I have a case of 1K of. They’re about the only cap I can find right now. Take care guys!

-Smokey

Just so you know (I have ToTW nipples on mine too) they’re sized for the standard, non magnum version of CCI #11 caps, they won’t work right with the magnum version. I’ve not been able to find a tin locally to try, just the magnums so I’ve been using Rem #10’s, which have worked flawlessly as long as the priming compound didn’t fall out (seems I’d find 0-3 that way). These caps are getting close to 9 years old now so things may have changed.

Just so you know (I have ToTW nipples on mine too) they’re sized for the standard, non magnum version of CCI #11 caps, they won’t work right with the magnum version. I’ve not been able to find a tin locally to try, just the magnums so I’ve been using Rem #10’s, which have worked flawlessly as long as the priming compound didn’t fall out (seems I’d find 0-3 that way). These caps are getting close to 9 years old now so things may have changed.
I use Remington on rifles and revolvers. I haven’t had the stuffing fall out of any of them for quite a few years and many thousands of caps.

I have Track of the Wolf nipples on mine. CCI #11 magnum caps are all that I use anymore. They fit great. I've heard claims that the magnums are different, but I've used both the CCI #11 and CCI #11 magnum side by side, and I certainly can't feel any difference at all when seating them on the nipple. I recall one or the other had a hairs difference in cup length, which makes no practical difference to shooting.

I have the special order Hogue wood grips with checkering, and no finger grooves on mine.

I have a set of Herrett ambi-grip wooden stocks on my ROA. The only ones I've ever seen, I paid £5 for them at a gun show here in UK many moons ago. The seller didn't know what they were for. I did.

View attachment 97013

-Smokey
I got a blue new-in-box ROA this summer. A recent ROA in stainless spotted at a black powder shop, was priced at $1100.! Great idea about the grips. Save the wood ones!

Back